Star Drag Compatibility

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
vertigo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Star Drag Compatibility

Post by vertigo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:30 am

Will a drag star from a daiwa SS SV fit a td-z 103ml? I've tried but it seems tight and won't full back off. I think it looks a bit taller. Am I doing something wrong? is there a shim or spacer that needs to removed or do I need to shave it down?
Thanks

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Star Drag Compatibility

Post by MountainMan 83 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:14 am

Yes, a threaded drag star from a left hand SS SV will fit a left hand TDZ.

Are you saying you can't loosen the drag enough before the star stops on the handle? If so, you need to remove a washer, yes.

vertigo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by vertigo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:25 am

It's a very tight fit. When I loosen the drag as far as I can, there is still tension on the spool. When I installed the star drag, there isn't very much room to put the lock nut.... less than with the stock or a swept zillion star drag. If i do have to remove a washer, where would that be? I don't see any on the diagram or the reel. Is it the one between the clicker retainer and the bearing (85 0n the parts list)?

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:48 am

vertigo wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:25 am
It's a very tight fit. When I loosen the drag as far as I can, there is still tension on the spool. When I installed the star drag, there isn't very much room to put the lock nut.... less than with the stock or a swept zillion star drag. If i do have to remove a washer, where would that be? I don't see any on the diagram or the reel. Is it the one between the clicker retainer and the bearing (85 0n the parts list)?
Normally there's a washer directly underneath the star (Key. # 89) that sits on top of the drag spring washers. Check on the bottom of the star, sometimes they stick there. The other washer that sits on the driveshaft bearing is very thin and would probably not free up much space but its worth a try if nothing else seems to work.

Is this a reel you recently purchased? You seem to be having a lot of issues with it (them).

vertigo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by vertigo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:58 am

I bought a couple a few years back to try my hand at modifications and paint. I obviously suck at it! Luckily I have 6 more that I keep as is. I wish I knew more about this stuff but that's what I'm here for.

On another note... The paint on the 103ml is a special paint that keeps the reel from corroding correct? Looks like a beige colour paint. If I were to just completely remove all paint even the beige primer and spray the whole thing inside and out, would I run into issues with putting the whole thing together given the tight tolerances?

Thanks!

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:09 pm

vertigo wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:58 am
I bought a couple a few years back to try my hand at modifications and paint. I obviously suck at it! Luckily I have 6 more that I keep as is. I wish I knew more about this stuff but that's what I'm here for.

On another note... The paint on the 103ml is a special paint that keeps the reel from corroding correct? Looks like a beige colour paint. If I were to just completely remove all paint even the beige primer and spray the whole thing inside and out, would I run into issues with putting the whole thing together given the tight tolerances?

Thanks!
Use masking tape to cover everything that is on the insides of the frame. Only paint the exterior. You'll run into problems real quick and theres no need to paint the inside.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:15 pm

Like this:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:54 pm

Remove 1 washer from behind the star. That should work for you.

vertigo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by vertigo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:28 am

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:15 pm
Like this:
Beautiful paint job!

vertigo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by vertigo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:33 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:54 pm
Remove 1 washer from behind the star. That should work for you.
I removed every washer I could. all that's left are the 2 leaf washers that are needed .
The star drag collar supposed to sit on a ride on the drive shaft. When fully backed up the star shouldn't hit the back of the handle. I may have to add spacers to bring up the collar but would leave me with little thread for the lock nut.

I'll try it tonight.

Thanks

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:32 pm

TDZ drive shafts are shorter and that's why you're having issues. Some star drags are easier to work on there than others. Takes quite a bit of tinkering to get some to work.