Spool choice for Zilion Type R/916C (34mm)

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spool choice for Zilion Type R/916C (34mm)

Post by 78Staff » Sat May 02, 2020 6:06 am

So, I finally have some 36>34mm spacers coming, and am looking at maybe changing from the stock ZIllion Type R spool to something else on my 916C. It's mainly a punching/flipping rod and Frog rod, and to be honest the stock spool does fine for the most part, although wouldn't mind some extra distance when throwing hollow body frogs on it...

I have a few to choose from - in the MagZ camp I have an RCS 1016, or in the MagV camp I have an TDZ Type R spool - although I think line capacity would be too limited using 65lb braid. I also have a OG Steez 100 (MagV) spool, as well as a Fixed Inductor (Purple) Daiwa Japan Deep Spool that I bought accidentally a few years back from a japan auction thatI kinda want to try and see what i can do. Come to think of it I have several Steez G1 1016 spools I pulled from Steez A's that would be an option as well I suppose...

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Spool choice for Zilion Type R/916C (34mm)

Post by white84z » Sat May 02, 2020 9:20 am

The RCS 1016 spool I have is a long casting beast for me. I personally use an sv spool for frogging though as I skip a bunch. Currently using a sv103 spool in a tdz for that. I also just got some spacers for my Zillion 50th, but that one got a Steez LTD 105 spool for fishing jigs and Texas rigs.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sat May 02, 2020 10:59 am

white84z wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:20 am
The RCS 1016 spool I have is a long casting beast for me. I personally use an sv spool for frogging though as I skip a bunch. Currently using a sv103 spool in a tdz for that. I also just got some spacers for my Zillion 50th, but that one got a Steez LTD 105 spool for fishing jigs and Texas rigs.
Valid point on the SV - the 916C is a bit long and cumbersome for skipping though - it's more of a sling it rod :). I do have a orig GLX 844 MBR I sometimes press into service for skipping/tight quarter frogging, which has a Steez A with ZIllion SV spool.

I'm leaning towards the 1016 for the Zillion Type R, although I am curious about that fixed inductor Daiwa Works Deep Spool too. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the fixed inductor?

I've also got a TDZ 100M that needs a spool, but I cant find a 100M/100ML spool anywhere. Anyone got one they wan't to get rid of?

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Sat May 02, 2020 11:05 am

The fixed inductor acts like a linear mag brake, no difference is applied brake based off of spool speed. I would give it a shot, worst case move the line over to the 1016 later.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun May 03, 2020 7:54 am

Brake force does increase with spool speed however the brake profile is linear in that brake curve is a linear curve. Spool speeds up then the brake force goes up. A fixed inductor spool does not have the non linear brake profile of a moving inductor that brakes less than a linear mag brake reel at low speed. You don't get that rapid reduction in mag brake at the end of the cast. This often leads to reducing mag brake to get the spool to be more free at the end of the cast but is now more prone to blowing up mid cast. A smooth casing stroke is often needed with these type of spools to prevent them from blowing up. If you palm while casting then you probably already cast this way anyways. If you are a right hand reeler and caster that snaps the wrist on the cast to put some spool emptying umph into your casts then you need to stay away from linear mag brakes as far as possible.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun May 03, 2020 3:14 pm

Sounds like you have a handful of spools to already try. Start there \:D/. If you want something in the SV camp, try to source the dimpled, limited Steez 103 spool.