Megabass Custom FX68 Spool (Purple)

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Megabass Custom FX68 Spool (Purple)

Post by Big-Bass » Sat May 23, 2020 2:51 pm

I got a Megabass Custom FX68 purple spool this week. Can anyone give me some info on this spool as far as performance in a TD-Z frame? I can't seem to find much info and I can't find any for sale to determine the worth of the spool. Thanks!

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Megabass Custom FX68 Spool (Purple)

Post by domthewon » Sat May 23, 2020 3:28 pm

Big-Bass wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:51 pm
I got a Megabass Custom FX68 purple spool this week. Can anyone give me some info on this spool as far as performance in a TD-Z frame? I can't seem to find much info and I can't find any for sale to determine the worth of the spool. Thanks!
They are a 1010 spool. I never owned one or used it in a TD-Z, but I’ve heard good things. Here’s an old thread.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=77968

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 23, 2020 5:01 pm

The 1010 spools are supposed to be good distance casters but don't hold much line to cast for distance. I can spool the two I have pretty easily by just casting jigs and plastics. I'm thinking about using them with 30# braid to have more capacity.

The one I get the most use out of is in a Lin 10 Black Jungle on a Orochi x4 711. I use it to pitch baits thinking that the shallow spool would help with start up and it pitches fine. Not special there. When I distance cast it let's baits fly but it is capacity challenged with fluorocarbon line.

My Engetsu spool is similar in that it is a heavy shallow spool too. I use it wilth 20# braid and it will spool itself of braid with a 4 inch Senko type bait on a Zodias 610ML BFS. There is something about these heavy shallow spools. They just let baits fly.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun May 24, 2020 3:25 am

I have an FX68 in an Ito 103HL with 20# braid and that solves my potential capacity issues. It bombs baits easily stock, but with an upgraded set of spool bearings and some inductor tuning, it could really, really bomb. I'll be doing a bit of that soon.