Zillion type-R problem

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Zillion type-R problem

Post by johns » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:09 am

Was out fishing early this morning casting with my Zillion type-R. On about the 5th cast the reel wouldnt engage and there was just a clicking sound when turning the handle and the spool wouldnt turn. The line guide moved back and forth normally. Other than taking out the spool and oiling the spool bearings and worm gear I know nothing about the inside of reels. Dont know if it is a coincidence or not but this is the third trip using the reel after getting it back from being cleaned and super tuned. Could something have loosened up on the inside? Also the thumb bar seemed to work fine. Any help figuring out the problem would be great. If it is a common problem should I get some parts changed on my 50th ann. Zillion? Thanks for any help. john

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion type-R problem

Post by LowRange » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:45 am

The kick mechanism that activates the clutch when the handle is turned is either on backwards or worn.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:24 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:45 am
The kick mechanism that activates the clutch when the handle is turned is either on backwards or worn.
^^This is the right path. It could also actually be missing one of the springs. I've done the same thing, just push the sideplate down and one pops out, unbeknownst to me. I always test a reel after I work on it, to be sure I haven't made any mistakes. Another thing I always do is stretch out the yoke springs. This extra spring tension makes them push in harder on the pinion yoke, which is what engages the reel when you turn the handle.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:37 am

Thanks for the replies. Sounds much better than a total replacement of the gears which I was thinking it might be.