Millionaire Moddin'

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Millionaire Moddin'

Post by MountainMan 83 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:58 pm

So, I picked up a pair of CVZ 103s a few weeks back and wanted to see what kind of tuning options were out there. I came upon this thread viewtopic.php?t=52643 and got a few good ideas and started rolling with them.

First off, I wanted to switch out the stock gears to a faster PX Type R 6.8:1 set. This would give me the ability to use most Steez/TDZ spools as well, because of the longer pinion.

Next, I wanted the ability to add a clicking drag star by milling down the boss to expose the driveshaft bearing. I made a fixture to stabilize the side plate as the aluminum is pretty soft, especially when you clamp down on it in a vise.

I’m ready Steve! :lol: From the thread linked above:
smalliesteve wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:33 am

Anyone machining the boss down on one of these reels will get a free punch in the face from yours truly. Really, no charge at all. :D

I went with a TDZ drag star to keep a stock look.

With no aftermarket kit to add bearings to the worm gear, I set off to the lathe to replace/modify the bushings. I turned down some ABS to allow a pocket for the gear side bearing to rest. It has to ride against the gear because there’s a step in the worm gear itself, where the bearing would be if I had a small bushing between the two. I removed material from the end bushing to accommodate a bearing there as well.

I’m a sucker for ported frames, and I've done a TDZ frame before, so I figured I’d give it a shot. I made a CAD drawing and then programmed that into the mill.

I had to offset the numbers on the fly and ended up with a little bit more space between the first cut than the rest. The frame also jumped on me after a few passes, which is why I should have took the time a made a fixture because I didn’t want to squeeze too tight in the vise. I’ll pretend these mistakes were planned; for my OCDs’ sake.

Threw in some Carbontex washers. Tapped the driveshaft for a Steez bolt. Added a ZPI carbon fiber handle (thanks Chris) and a RCS 1016 spool with ZPI SIC bearings and put it all back together. Fun little project, can’t wait to fish it.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Millionaire Moddin'

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:42 pm

That looks awesome!!! Well done!

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:25 pm

I tuned my reel "proceeds to put on colour tid bits..."

MountainMan "hold my programmable lathe..."

Nicely done bloke! This is what I like to see and dream about doing!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:53 pm

=D> Quality work and true to style and form.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:56 pm

One of a kind 👍

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:11 am

Fantastic work.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:15 am

Mad Skills Bro! =D>

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:05 am

Wow man.
Your good ! Fantastic work man
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:44 am

Thanks fellas!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:51 am

Impressive work for sure, thank you for posting =D>
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax08 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:30 pm

Great reel and great work. I wonder if that new millionaire ct spool would fit int the 103 model?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:07 pm

Wow, very cool. One of a kind 8-)

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:00 pm

runmax08 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:30 pm
Great reel and great work. I wonder if that new millionaire ct spool would fit int the 103 model?
It wont. I picked up an amo version from hoohooscoobydoo, thinking I might make some spacers, but it it wont work. Here it is next to a 34mm spool.

A bit of an update. So I knew when I got back to work this week, I would need to remove material from the bottom of the drag star to have clearance from the cast control cap to get full drag power and allow the handle to sit where it should, on the shoulder of the drive shaft.

I threw the star in the lathe and removed half of the inside collar.

Reinstalled and even with locked down drag, the handle wasn't sitting on the driveshaft shoulder.
So I had to move the whole stack down. I milled another .050" off the boss and then took the same amount off the driveshaft collar.
At drag lock down, this pushed the AR roller clutch out of its seating but wasn't a problem because it's normal position is already recessed into the side plate. This still wasn't enough to be able to back off the drag completely, so onto removing material off the front face of the drag star. I had to do this before when I put a TDZ star on a Sol.
Now I have a full range of drag.
This is locked down.

I've spent some time this week, fishing before work, and found the RCS 1016 spool to be incredibly fast in this reel with brakes maxed at 10 and more than I'd like spool tension. After awhile, my thumb started getting better but I need to keep practicing for sure. Switched to an SV1000 spool and had decent results at maxed settings. Have a few more spools to try, but I'm starting to think maybe it's just me, lol. Those who run TDZ spools in their CVZs, what spools do you like?

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:59 am

Very nice work :D

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:55 pm

Amazing work, makes me wish I didn't squander my childhood where I could have learned this stuff.
MountainMan 83 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:00 pm
Those who run TDZ spools in their CVZs, what spools do you like?
I have a Ringa SSS modded to allow 34mm spools and I have tried a couple. On my reel atleast, I can't use spools with too long of an inductor as it will rub. A stock sv103 spool, a ZPI PG, and (I believe) a stock Steez A spool were all a no-go. Otherwise, I have tried the following looking mainly for distance.

RCS 1012sv - Great distance and control, but obv pretty shallow

Stock Zillion SV - Good all around distance and control, but less distance then the 1012sv

Stock TDZ - A bit wild, but my thumb is lazy from fishing mostly SV spools, so it might be fine.

sv103 spool w/ an Alphas SV inductor on it - The best distance, very free casting and enough control so long as I don't get cocky.