Cleaning rods and guides

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Bassbandit2
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Cleaning rods and guides

Post by Bassbandit2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:59 pm

Hey everyone. I was looking to see what is a good way to clean the grime build up off my rod and guides? Just good ole soap and water? Any tips? Is there anything to help keep them more clean?

Thank you

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Cleaning rods and guides

Post by Slazmo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:04 pm

I use a truck wash which has a great rust inhibitor (Chemtech CT18) - you'll have a plethora of similar items; but steer clear of plain dish soap as its got salt in it. A good quality boot brush for the Eva which brings it up like new, just a Terry cloth in the solution for the Cork, and a soft hogs hair paint brush for the guides and rest of the rod including reel seat winch treads etc.

If you've got micro guides one of those reusable straw cleaners (miniature bottle brush looking thing) is good for small guides.

Then I polish with Meguires Hybrid Ceramic Wax on the hard surfaces.

Bassbandit2
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bassbandit2 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:17 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:04 pm
I use a truck wash which has a great rust inhibitor (Chemtech CT18) - you'll have a plethora of similar items; but steer clear of plain dish soap as its got salt in it. A good quality boot brush for the Eva which brings it up like new, just a Terry cloth in the solution for the Cork, and a soft hogs hair paint brush for the guides and rest of the rod including reel seat winch treads etc.

If you've got micro guides one of those reusable straw cleaners (miniature bottle brush looking thing) is good for small guides.

Then I polish with Meguires Hybrid Ceramic Wax on the hard surfaces.

Awesome I appreciate your response. Thank you

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:01 pm

Give your rod a coat of carnuba wax to help keep the grime from returning so quickly as well as making it easier to clean up next time. All my rods get a coat of wax before they ship.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Bassbandit2
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bassbandit2 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:01 pm

Mattman wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:01 pm
Give your rod a coat of carnuba wax to help keep the grime from returning so quickly as well as making it easier to clean up next time. All my rods get a coat of wax before they ship.
Ok cool! That sounds easy enough. Just apply to to rod and not the guides with a rag correct?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:26 am

Bassbandit2 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:01 pm
Mattman wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:01 pm
Ok cool! That sounds easy enough. Just apply to to rod and not the guides with a rag correct?
It wouldn't hurt the guides. Just a total pain to do. I just wax the rod blank and wraps. I do NOT do the reel seat area.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods