Daiwa T3 MX Supertuning help!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
zrocketman
Angler
Angler

Daiwa T3 MX Supertuning help!

Post by zrocketman » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:31 am

Hi guys! I’m new (well I have been reading the forums for a bit) here.

I’ve been super tuning my own reels but recently got my hands on a T3 MX and wanted to supertune/upgrade parts where I can.

Read up the post about using the zillion 1016 sv tw spools and luckily had a zillion sv tw that I had bought second hand to try my hand at painting my own reels (I’m in Korea so JDM reels come pretty cheap second hand). I’m planning cannibalizing some pieces from the zillion for my T3.

So far I’ve swapped the spools, put the zillion handle on the T3, and upgraded the worm shaft bushings to bearings and any high speed bearings in the T3.

Does anyone have anymore recommendations on what I could do to the T3 in terms of super tuning or upgrades? I’ve seen that people have had issues with the hood breaking or loosening over time. I’ve been trying to find a way to support the hood a bit, has anyone found a way?

Also had some time on the water with the T3 and I really love the pop up hood. I guess it’s a super polarizing design choice on the forums but it kinda led me to find one for myself as recent reels have kinda started to bore me (new rehashed 2021 daiwa steez anyone? Haha)

Thanks guys! If you got any questions on JDM stuff I’m more than happy to answer cause we pretty much get only JDM and KDM stuff here.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa T3 MX Supertuning help!

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:51 am

Welcome to the forum.

I have the T3 1016 and T3 SV, but not the MX.
I am not a huge fan of the series due to that plastic feel and funky hood, but I love the 3D brake. The series benefit from giving you multiple spool choices.

I am not a big believer in upgrading bearings as in general I have not found a huge benefit from installing new bearings. Still, almost all my reels have new / expensive bearings. My T3s have ZPIs.

I am a big believer in spools and guess that I have >30 aftermarket spools for my T3s and other 34mm Daiwas.
Different SLP/RCS, ZPI, KTF, Roro, AMO/Momo and Rays spools. I like the ZPIs and the KTFs most with Roro and Rays coming close.
Some of the above mentioned spools fit certain reels better. However, the T3 reels have that 3D brake and I can generally always find a setting that works great with any aftermarket spool.
Therefore I often bring my T3s when I travel along with a few different spools and a couple of rods, which allows me to cover many different bases.

zrocketman
Angler
Angler

Re: Daiwa T3 MX Supertuning help!

Post by zrocketman » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:16 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:51 am
Welcome to the forum.

I have the T3 1016 and T3 SV, but not the MX.
I am not a huge fan of the series due to that plastic feel and funky hood, but I love the 3D brake. The series benefit from giving you multiple spool choices.

I am not a big believer in upgrading bearings as in general I have not found a huge benefit from installing new bearings. Still, almost all my reels have new / expensive bearings. My T3s have ZPIs.

I am a big believer in spools and guess that I have >30 aftermarket spools for my T3s and other 34mm Daiwas.
Different SLP/RCS, ZPI, KTF, Roro, AMO/Momo and Rays spools. I like the ZPIs and the KTFs most with Roro and Rays coming close.
Some of the above mentioned spools fit certain reels better. However, the T3 reels have that 3D brake and I can generally always find a setting that works great with any aftermarket spool.
Therefore I often bring my T3s when I travel along with a few different spools and a couple of rods, which allows me to cover many different bases.
Thanks Dalleinf!

So definitely will look into some SLP spools. Here in Korea it seems that the aftermarket market is mostly SLP and ZPI.