Here's what I did with a squeaky E7

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Here's what I did with a squeaky E7

Post by lifeofRiley » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:16 am

I started keeping a maint. log book on reels 5 yrs ago. Reel #2 is a CU200E7, here are it's entries

11/29/16 cleaned, rust present in roller clutch, placed in ultrasonic w/simple green then oiled w/bantam oil

12/25/16 added carbontex w/cals

2/24/17 added new knobs and caps

12/28/17 added ARB spool bearings

I noticed yesterday that the reel had a squeak to it when reeling. I broke it down and guessed it to be the roller clutch. I oiled the clutch with a wetted q-tip and the noise remained. I applied a very healthy dose of oil directly to the rollers and the noise remained. Lastly I applied some of the ceramic grease that slazmo likes, and gooped in on heavy to the rollers. The squeak is completely gone and the reel remains in good working order.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Here's what I did with a squeaky E7

Post by Slazmo » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:48 am

"Boom" fixed. How goods that!

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:23 am

From past experience, I would probably replace that roller clutch. They are meant to run dry or with only a light coat of oil for rust protection. If you fish in cold weather, you might have issues with slippage. Nothing like working a jerkbait or setting the hook and reel spins backwards.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:15 pm

You are exactly right eyra. Once a clutch starts slipping I've never been able to get them back to "perfect" condition. In my case I wanted to experiment. If the grease causes the clutch to slip, so be it, I will replace at that time. But in the meantime I'm going to fish with it until is has a slip. Up to this point it's been perfect. I will leave it outside for a few hours tonight and see if it starts to slip(I live in a cold climate). I did have a clutch slip on a stradic in cold weather. I took it apart and it was completely dry and no rust. I never could get it to work correctly so I just installed a new one. I've seen slazmo post, and I think he greases all or almost all of his roller clutches. He does live in the outback and I picture it being hot hot hot there all the time.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:34 pm

Wouldn't call it the "outback" :lol:

My locality is just below {400kms} the Tropic of Capricorn kind of weather - probably similar to Florida, without the chance of snow... Mind you it gets very nippy here on occasion...

Id be very interested to hear if Shimano or other greases or oils their reels differently for differing sales geographies - because my Tranx 300 its ARcame caked in grease from factory... Its all got to do with the greases NLGI and other properties...
Attachments
IMG_20210305_173250.jpg
Tranx 300
IMG_20210305_173250.jpg (56.66 KiB) Viewed 1478 times