Cal's Grease and gears/bearings

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Cal's Grease and gears/bearings

Post by cadman » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:25 pm

Just a question for all you reel guys out there. Do any of you grease all your gears and bearings with Cal's except the spool bearing or do you grease only gears and oil all bearings? Finally when you grease your gears, do you apply grease to every gear or only to the one gear that drives the other gear. For example grease the pinion gear, and the grease will transfer to the drive gear or grease both the pinion and the drive gear. Thanks for any help

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Cal's Grease and gears/bearings

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:07 pm

I brush a liberal amount on the main drive gear and just let that coat the pinion. I don't grease or oil non-spool bearings, but my reels get minimal use. I brush a liberal amount on the drag disks. I also brush a thin coat of grease on the level wind track.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Cal's Grease and gears/bearings

Post by lifeofRiley » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:29 pm

Grease all spool bearings. Grease worm gear. Grease bottom of drive shaft where drive gear rests. Honestly I've greased spool bearing and if you're throwing a 1/2oz or larger bait I can still sling it. If you want maximum drag DO NOT grease the carbon drag washers. I've found cals drag grease to be unnecessary on baitcasting drag washers. If you have a casting reel that you want a light drag on then grease it.