Any TTers do reel upgrades?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
randman33
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Any TTers do reel upgrades?

Post by randman33 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:11 pm

Been gone from TT for quite some time. Are there any fellow members doing reel upgrades/maintenance? I am looking to upgrade bearings in Daiwa Tatula CT 100H
Not sure if I am really desiring to spend the time/energy to do so myself.
THX
Rand

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Any TTers do reel upgrades?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:58 pm

randman33 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:11 pm
Been gone from TT for quite some time. Are there any fellow members doing reel upgrades/maintenance? I am looking to upgrade bearings in Daiwa Tatula CT 100H
THX
Rand
I assume you mean the spool bearings?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

randman33
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by randman33 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:33 pm

Im not 100% sure as this is my first foray into the supertuning world. I am def a greenie, a newb in this aspect.

Rand

G40
Angler
Angler

Post by G40 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:11 pm

randman33 wrote:
THX
Rand

You can do it yourself pretty easily. You can find a bunch of videos on Youtube for that reel that go through it step by step. No need to pay someone for that job.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:25 pm

G40 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:11 pm
randman33 wrote:
THX
Rand

You can do it yourself pretty easily. You can find a bunch of videos on Youtube for that reel that go through it step by step. No need to pay someone for that job.
Agreed. You can take a video of yourself doing anything on a reel so you can reference it if you mess up. I have a couple Tatula SV take apart videos I did and they actually helped me out afterwards :lol:
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:29 pm

Randman33, I like the title. Any Americans eat turkey, drive Ford, or watch Super Bowl. 😉

Of course you want to spend time and energy.

What you should be asking yourself is why you want to do it? Casting distance? Lighter baits? And if you want to spend the $ on it. Improvements will be small, but maybe worth it to you.

It is about as easy as making a sandwich - if you have the tools.

All the best !

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:08 am

Definitely diy job, simple and would help learning now so later you can service your own reels

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:11 am

Not that many parts... Easy as DIY job.

For what you want done.

Otherwise this is a general amount of parts encountered.
Attachments
IMG_20210324_220151_876.jpg
IMG_20210324_220151_876.jpg (110.41 KiB) Viewed 4213 times

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:26 am

Slazmo wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:11 am
Not that many parts... Easy as DIY job.

For what you want done.

Otherwise this is a general amount of parts encountered.
😂 Rand, you do not have to take your reel THAT much apart...

randman33
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by randman33 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:23 pm

Thank you slazmo, Dalleinf, eklikewhoa,G40,Hobie-Wan Kenobi !!! I will do it myself. I have watched some videos. It doesn't seem that difficult. If I can take apart and put back together Iphones/Samsung phones (teeny parts) then I can do this.

So now the ? is which bearings do yall suggest?

R

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:52 pm

I mainly upgrade spool bearings but also dabble with bearings for line guide, handle and idler/cog wheel (ambassadeurs).
If you want better performance with light lures consider micro bearings, eg Hedgehog Air BFS or Roro.
For more general use Hedgehog Air HD ceramic or ZPI. I believe it is size 1030+830 (3*10*4 + 3*8*4) for tatula spools.
I have also used many full ceramic bearings from aliexpress and have been very happy with those - but anticipate more noise from ceramics.

You will need a tool for the spool pin - search tt for advice.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:06 am

While reel services are a thing, a very valuable thing to keep your tools running it's nice to do little tid bits to make them that much more efficient and effective.

While boutique bearings are one thing, just flushing the stock bearings can achieve crazy results. Most stock bearings are really good after a flush but terrible out of the box (from factory) as they're filled with grease... For example this Curado 200i PG - used extensively in NT - Darwin for Barra fishing came to me bog stock original, a good service and that key element of spool rotation laid on the fact that the stock bearings got a flush and they spun in excess of 40 seconds (vid on my Instagram).

Work with what you've got first and step into another part when it's needed or you've exhausted it or it's capabilities. .

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:50 am

Slazmo wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:06 am
While reel services are a thing, a very valuable thing to keep your tools running it's nice to do little tid bits to make them that much more efficient and effective.

While boutique bearings are one thing, just flushing the stock bearings can achieve crazy results. Most stock bearings are really good after a flush but terrible out of the box (from factory) as they're filled with grease... For example this Curado 200i PG - used extensively in NT - Darwin for Barra fishing came to me bog stock original, a good service and that key element of spool rotation laid on the fact that the stock bearings got a flush and they spun in excess of 40 seconds (vid on my Instagram).

Work with what you've got first and step into another part when it's needed or you've exhausted it or it's capabilities. .
Slazmo, how do you flush your bearings. Any secret chemical or magical tool?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:25 am

Pull the bearings out, either leave the shields on or pick the circlip / remove the shield if possible (more thorough job) and use a small jar (baby foods make great jars) with brake cleaner / turpentine / acetone or choice of grease removal fluid. And just gently shake the jar side to side.

Use your favourite oil sparingly to re-lube after the bearings are flushed clean and dry of cleaning solution.

It's a ageless process - which everyone can have a crack at.

**just be mindful of plastic caged bearing retainers - use a plastic safe solvent with these**

G40
Angler
Angler

Post by G40 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:34 pm

randman33 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:23 pm
Thank you slazmo, Dalleinf, eklikewhoa,G40,Hobie-Wan Kenobi !!! I will do it myself. I have watched some videos. It doesn't seem that difficult. If I can take apart and put back together Iphones/Samsung phones (teeny parts) then I can do this.

So now the ? is which bearings do yall suggest?

R
Beware the C springs used to lock the bearings in, They FLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYY :big grin:

Good Luck!