Disassembling a tdz to relube

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Disassembling a tdz to relube

Post by tditox4 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:24 am

Looking for a video on tdz disassembly. Especially interested in knowing tips to keep the orginal roller clutch bearing from falling apart when the handle side plate is being pulled off. The silver sleeve slides, moves on the shaft, allowing the pins in the blue plastic cage to fall out, along with those miniscule silver micro thin clips. IMO it can't be fixed unless you're a surgeon. I did find a replacement one way clutch roller bearing that replaces the multi piece original. I purchased 2 and have used both. 1 in a tdito and 1 in a pink PO. I had my blue PO handle side plate pulled a half inch open, but was to afraid that silver sleeve would slide out of the bearing cage, causing the pins to fall out. Any help or tdz disassembly link appreciated.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Disassembling a tdz to relube

Post by eklikewhoa » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:12 pm

If it's coming apart then probably just shake loose on the table or in a bag

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:32 pm

eklikewhoa wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:12 pm
If it's coming apart then probably just shake loose on the table or in a bag
?????..... I don't think you understand the difficulty im9 having.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:43 pm

There are no multi-piece roller bearings. If it comes apart, it has went bad and needs to be replaced. Just a little thin oil on the rollers and the a/r bearing sleeve, then swab it until the swab is clean.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:46 pm

P.m. me an email address and I'll send you a picture of the broken roller bearing from a td Ito and my pink personal order. It's not only one piece. There is multiple pins, clips, a blue plastic cage , all inside a metal sleeve. The sleeve is pressed inside the handle side plate.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:51 pm

tditox4 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:46 pm
P.m. me an email address and I'll send you a picture of the broken roller bearing from a td Ito and my pink personal order. It's not only one piece. There is multiple pins, clips, a blue plastic cage , all inside a metal sleeve. The sleeve is pressed inside the handle side plate.
Theres a lot of small pieces, yes, but it's all one assembly that is not supposed to separate. If it comes apart, it is damaged and needs to be replaced.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:09 pm

The plastic cage should be enough to hold it together while separating, unless there's something binding that's ripping that out as you separate

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:00 am

As has been said, the rollers should be held in place by the plastic cage. If they're falling out, the one way needs to be replaced. I wouldn't use it in its current state, you run the risk of one of those little thin springs getting into the internals and wreaking major havoc.

humph005
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by humph005 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:02 pm

I've never had Daiwa roller bearing come apart easily or accidentally. I have only pulled one apart on purpose. I would guess, like the other responses, it probably should be replaced.

The time I did take one apart, I was finally able to get it all back together again. I had to use grease to "glue" all the little pieces in place and then slide the metal sleeve back on carefully! It was a huge pain!

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:53 pm

Maybe this picture sequence might help if you decide to disassemble your reel.

I do all my own work, which includes complete disassembly, clean appropriate parts in a ultrasonic (acetone for some parts, Dawn solution for others), polish of appropriate parts, relube using one type of grease for sliding parts, frame bearings, a second type for gears and a "tried and true" oil for spool bearings. This for all reels purchased, new and used.

When first starting, I got in the habit of taking a sequence of pictures for each disassembly step with parts "laid out" in the order they were disassembled and would be reassembled in. This has been invaluable along with a schematic. And in the case of the new Zillion and Alphas SV TW 800, which do not include a schematic, the only way to ensure correct reassembly.

As others have posted, the roller clutch bearing should not "fall apart" when removed. If it does, it is defective and needs to replaced.

Hope this can help.

Regards,
Doc
Attachments
Daiwa TD-Z 103ML 01.jpg
Daiwa TD-Z 103ML 01.jpg (34.82 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
Daiwa TD-Z 103ML 02.jpg
Daiwa TD-Z 103ML 02.jpg (36.23 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
Daiwa TD-Z 103ML 03.jpg
Daiwa TD-Z 103ML 03.jpg (67.15 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
Daiwa TD-Z 103ML 04.jpg
Daiwa TD-Z 103ML 04.jpg (48.91 KiB) Viewed 2986 times