Bearing cleaning in ultrasonic cleaner

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Bearing cleaning in ultrasonic cleaner

Post by bigturtle » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:42 pm

SSS wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:54 am
Would be nice if you could post a short vid. Because i have been doing this for a while now, and unless the bearing wasn't in great shape to begin with, after an ultra sonic bath, it shouldn't become much worse than it was.
Im not sure how I can show the issue on video, its more of a feel thing, I dont think theres anything you can see visually.
HellaBread wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:55 pm
you can definitely overdo it for bearings in the ultrasonic and cause fretting damage. Happens with hybrids more easily than standard stainless bearings….dont ask me how i know (rip to some of my zpi bearings). I try to run the ultrasonic for no more than 5min on bearings. If there’s still hard debris in it past that i find a waterpik is more effective. Your mileage may vary but that’s just what i’ve found working on my own stuff.
I will give waterpik a try.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:54 am

I've destroyed Hedgehog Air bearings in the ultrasonic a couple of times. Now I use a Bearing Blaster, available from any place that sells RC car stuff. I use that with CRC electronic contact cleaner and they come out great.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:44 pm

bigturtle wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:06 pm
Oh no, I was not aware. I will stop using ultrasonic cleaner for the bearings. Are there any other parts I should be careful of? I throw everything except the frame, side covers, and handle assembly in there.

This is the ultrasonic cleaner I have: https://www.amazon.com/Magnasonic-MGUC5 ... B007Q2M17K
That's the exact same one that I have and it hasn't been an issue for me. I dunk the entire reel body in mine, and put little parts into jars.

I will fill up a small glass jar with some brake cleaner, drop my bearings inside, and put it into the ultrasonic cleaner with some water in it and let it go for 480 seconds. Cleans out the bearings pretty well and I haven't had any issues.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:34 am

Finishing up some reels for spring season, and as HellaBread suggested, I cleaned ZPI and Hedgehog Air bearings in Simple Green/water 50/50 for 5 minutes with 60W cavitation, and soaked for 20 sec in 100% Isopropyl.
ZPI bearings came out perfect, Hedgehog Air was not. Ran the Hedgehog Air for 5 minutes with 60W cavitation in acetone and it cleaned it much better that way. AIR do not have that plastic siding and I think they are OK for using acetone or brake part cleaner. Never had any issues.