reel upgrade help needed (Green Curado)

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

reel upgrade help needed (Green Curado)

Post by goldrod »

I am about to get two of the old green curados, I suppose they will not be the bsf's. However I wanted to know if I can "upgrade or supertune" them and to what extent? I don't even know where to look for parts or where to start. I really need some help on this one. I am at sea right now but when I get back I want to have everything at the ready. Also is it even worth it?
I have loved my bsf's and when the opportunity came to get two more curados I jumped on it, especially for ten dollars apiece. Tell me where to start and what you think.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible
11tonytiger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: reel upgrade help needed (Green Curado)

Post by 11tonytiger »

I replaced the standard spool bearings with ABEC - 7 bearings (both are 3x10x4)and changed the drag washers to Super Smoothies. Got both from Heartland Tackle. Made a significant difference in casting distance and drag smoothness. In the maintenance section of this site is a detailed guide on how to do the drag washers. Good luck.
Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass »

Tell us first where you got green curados for 10 bucks???
I think the stock drag is already decent, so if you just change the bearings you have the best bang for the buck tuning you can hope. I put ABEC 5 hybrid ceramics bearings from boca bearing on mine and it's great. I baught mine from boca bearings. I can't really throw lighter baits but I make longer casts. With less effort too.
I bet you can find lighter tuning spool too. Maybe a scorpion spool I don't know, maybe ZPI. You can surely find a nicer handle but that won't affect performance.
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 »

You can use the Dartanium drag washer from the Calais 200 in your Curado. ABEC 5 spool bearings, CTE200GT handle and thats pretty much it.