Shimano Cumara baitcasting rods...

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Shimano Cumara baitcasting rods...

Post by Big-Bass » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:18 pm

BTW...nice TT intro to the rods...

Are the reel seats on the baitcasting rods modified Fuji seats or are they from another manufacturer? Also, how well would say the 6'8" MH baitcasting model match with a Calais 100A??? Thanks for the response(s).

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shimano Cumara baitcasting rods...

Post by Zander » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:39 pm

Funny you should ask that... I actually fished that combo with my personal Calais 100A that I brought to El Salto. I only brought one reel with me, and that was it. The rod feels like a MH should and it handled the Calais nicely. It balanced out better with the Core, but teh Calais certainly felt good on the rod. Ultimately I found the 6'8" CUC-X68M my favorite rod (but I tend to like them a bit lighter) that I fished, but the MH was certiainly more versatile. It actually fished Jerkbaits ok with the Calais too.

Zest
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zest » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:35 am

the seat doesn't look very “fuji" though,might from other manufacturer. bantam might able to shred some light here

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:30 am

The reel seat is something we designed and built. It is not a Fuji at all. I don't know if you remeber the Canis rods or not, but I showed the design to the rod development team. We changed the design slightly to adapt it to the Cumara rods.

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:56 am

These Cumara rods look beautiful.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:58 am

Ill be getting the 6'8" for sure! 8-) :evil22:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:59 am

If you guys like the MH then you can thank me later ;) That was me providing months of input and field testing to get it just right.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:39 pm

How does it compare to say the IMX in sensitivity and lightness?? They seem to be about the same price range and im def going to get one when the come out I was just curious. :lol:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:45 pm

These rods are lighter than GLX and just as sensitive. We weighed my Loomis rods to make sure they were lighter.

The 7'2" MH was 6 grams lighter than my MBR 843 GLX. Both rods are MH with similar line ratings so it was the closest match. The MBR 844 GLX was 8 grams heavier.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:49 pm

:shock: Ill take 2! 6'8" and the 7'2" :evil22:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Want
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Want » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:02 pm

Yeah. These rods have really really caught my attention. I'm looking forward to actually seeing and handling one or two in person. Hope TT does a review fairly soon. Bet the rods make a big market splash.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:48 pm

Let's hope so. Robby and I put in a lot of work on these rods. We started talking about them over a year ago. I wrote down actions for 14 rods models and picked brains all over the US. This was the end result. I showed him the reel seat from the Canis and then he did the travel back and forth to get everything just right. I think we had 4 or 5 versions of the rod before the finished version was approved by him. You wouldn't believe the amount of work that actually goes into developing a new rod. Actions, balance, rod deflection, weight, lengths...lots of work.

Months of field testing all over the place lead to the best bass rods we have ever produced. I fished from CA to OR to AZ and I even fished these rods in the local bays for Spotted Bay Bass and Sand Bass. The rods went to field testers all over the US. I think we hit the nail on the head with these rods. I have a certain sense of pride being that I had some input on these rods. I hope you guys like them and I really hope that they are successful for us.

giesj
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by giesj » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:18 pm

Bantam1 - rods look sharp. Can't wait to see one in person. Is the main reason for EVA foam over cork the weight reduction? Sure is nice to have a place to come and talk to a rep in the middle of it all. Thank you,
jason

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:05 am

Yes we went with the EVA for weight reduction and for the clean and simple look. Think about how cork looks after a year of fishing. The filler that is used when the rod is brand new starts to come out and the color of the cork changes. The EVA is durable and easy to clean and it almost always looks new.