Bantam 1 ... Chronarch 50 Mg ..... peeling ????

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Bantam 1 ... Chronarch 50 Mg ..... peeling ????

Post by raul » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:05 pm

I purchased a Chronarch 50 Mg about a year ago, a couple of trips after purchasing it i came home and cleaned the exterior as usual, no solvents or lubricants or protectives, just plain water and a smooth cloth to remove the dirt.

After cleaning it I noticed a very thin & small skin like substance on top of the non handle sideplate .... grabbed a couple ot tweezers and pulled a little ....... wow ! :shock: I took a small piece of what it appears to be the finish on that part, a clear like "skin", very small about 5 mm x 2 mm. :?

Then some months later the same thing happened, not as large not on the same side ( about 1 mm square ), the same thing happened just below the levelwind.

What´s that thing that´s peeling from my reel Bantam ?

It has never happened with my Scorpion Mg, it´s older than the Chronarch and I´m not the kind of guy that drags his reels all over the deck.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Bantam 1 ... Chronarch 50 Mg ..... peeling ????

Post by SLM » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:28 pm

Have you ruled out sunscreen? Sunscreen on your palms will react to the clearcoat and make it peel. I've had that happen to my older Chronarch 100SFs. Sunscreen will do that to a lot of finishes and plastic items--sometimes whatever you touch takes on an etching of your fingerprints/palmprint and other times it can look like worm burn!

Want
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Want » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:46 pm

SLM wrote:Have you ruled out sunscreen? Sunscreen on your palms will react to the clearcoat and make it peel. I've had that happen to my older Chronarch 100SFs. Sunscreen will do that to a lot of finishes and plastic items--sometimes whatever you touch takes on an etching of your fingerprints/palmprint and other times it can look like worm burn!
Thanks for this one. Never thought about it until now.

anthony6377
Angler
Angler

Post by anthony6377 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:49 pm

Holy crap, talk about eery! I was literally just coming into this forum to make, for all intents and purposes, this exact same thread!

I'm anxiously awaiting Bantam's response. I would also like to add another question, however: Is there an effective way to combat the peeling? If needed, I can try to provide pictures.

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:02 am

I had the same thing happen to a Chronarch 101B....I know Raul you are South but fortunately for me ...BPS gave me a full refund after having the reel for 1.5 years...big kudos to BPS on that one + Shimano because you KNOW BPS wouldn't have done it unless they could RTV :)

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:38 am

We have seen sunscreen ruin the finish on several reels. It seems to be certain brands that we cannot mention. Send the reel in and we will take care of it. In the future please make sure your hands are clean before you start palming the reel.

We have worked with Japan to improve the finish on our reels. It is impossible to check everything against the paint unfortunately.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:42 am

I don´t use sunscreen and my hands are always clean, I wash them several times while fishing and specially after handling soft plastic baits.

Where should I send the reel Bantam ? I´m in Mexico sending the reel to the US is not the problem, the problem is when the reel returns from the US, I purchased the reel in Curricanes.com ( store in Mexico ).

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:59 am

We do have a service center in Mexico. Send me a PM with your email and we can discuss your options there.

justtrying
Angler
Angler

Post by justtrying » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:09 pm

wow, i'm sorry to hear you've had problems w/the 50 mg.
i have three of them, & just love fishing with them. i've super-tuned each of them, changed out the bearings, etc., & they fish like a "dream." i'd hate for anything to happen to either of them.

and, hey, i'm glad bantam & shimano are taking care of your problem. can't ask for better than that.

ronnie
thankful for every day God gives me

anthony6377
Angler
Angler

Post by anthony6377 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:45 pm

On the bright side, I have an excuse to buy another reel to compensate for my void after I send the reel in. :lol: