Hot Sauce harms Shimano reels?

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Hot Sauce harms Shimano reels?

Post by Hulkster » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:43 pm

Maybe I am "over reacting" but I am the type of person that seeks the truth. If one person makes a statement, they better have the proof to back themselves. Especially when they associate themselves with a major company. The individual is representing his company and needs to act as such. The comment was a statement, not just an opinion
exactly.

we need validation for this claim.

its one thing to recommend and endorse only shimano products.

its quite another to make potentially sales-damaging claims about the composition of a competitors product..

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:02 pm

Hmmm....I don't see from my perspective, anyone becoming fanatical about the Hot Sauce itself...they are just defending their persoanl results from the usage of this product...with which the end results have been very positive for many well respected and experienced reel tinkerers, techs and enthusiasts.

If anyone is being fanatical, it is the "blinded" Shimano backer(s) (qualified of course :roll: )that are jumping the "Hot Sauce is bad bandwagon" and coming up with excuses/reasons as to not use Hot Sauce...as well as reasons for others not to use it.

My two cents.

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:27 pm

I have been using hot sauce in my stella 2500FB for a few years. It is still the smoothest reel I own. I will not even go into the reels I have to compare it to. If it eats my gears down the road so what, I will just drop a new set in. I plan on doing it ever so many years anyway.

JBA
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JBA » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:21 am

This whole thing is starting to get old. If you like hot sauce and you don't believe it will harm your reel then just use it and quite complaining so much.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:57 am

Hulkster wrote:
Maybe I am "over reacting" but I am the type of person that seeks the truth. If one person makes a statement, they better have the proof to back themselves. Especially when they associate themselves with a major company. The individual is representing his company and needs to act as such. The comment was a statement, not just an opinion
exactly.

we need validation for this claim.

its one thing to recommend and endorse only shimano products.

its quite another to make potentially sales-damaging claims about the composition of a competitors product..
It seems that everyone is waiting on a repsonse from me so here it is:

We do not recommend or endorse this lubricant for use in our reels. I am not saying that it is a bad product in any way. I am just saying that it is not intended for our reels. I am not trying to cause any sales damaging problems for them or for us. This is designed for company X's reels and not ours. We only recommend our lubricants in our reels.

litterbox
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by litterbox » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:16 am

As I am a man of my word, here is the responce from Quantum. I am not "beating a dead horse", I gave my word that I would post the follow up. So here it is:

We are in the process of confirming with the supplier all of the ingredients of the grease and oil. I can assure you that we stand by Hot Sauce. Once we have something official we will make an official comment.

Chris Strickland
Product Manager, Avid Brands
918-831-6957

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:15 am

Thank you for posting =D> Please post the findings when you get the word from HOT SAUCE. GOOD JOB !!!!!!!!!!

conniek
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by conniek » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:29 am

we are asked that question alot and tell customers, if a reel in warranty, altering the design will void the warranty simply because the reel was designed and manufactured to perform as specified in the design. Changing that design alters tests, etc. not apples to apples anymore. Upgrading washers, shaving, polishing, filing to fit. etc should never be done on warranty reels and we get reels in all the time out of warranty with various changes from the original. Personally, in my shop, we do not use hot sauce, it may not hurt reels and may perform well, but i can tell you first hand the reels can be cleaned and we use a ultra sonic, but that stuff is horrible from a reel repair cleaning viewpoint, we've received reels in here and they are absolutely dripping with the stuff and all stained, we charge more to clean those reels. We use the old tried and true Super Lube because it is teflon based and does not melt in this texas heat and it does not co-agulate in cold either.(LOL, if it melts or freezes, it is just tooooo hot or cold to be fishing. :) ) We use the TG'S rocket oil on bearings because of our experience in the performance of bearings after proper cleaning and application of Yellow Rocket Oil. For corrosion, we use a product called ReelX and again, only because our years in this business we have seen end results and returns of reels with the ReelX.
Not to say other products are no good, they are. I just know what the results of many years and many many reels later have proven themselves with us. Shimano reels are by far the best in our opinion and that is because of their great designs and tolerances. Awesome. that is why we specialize in them.:)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:21 am

Yes...

Shimano is the Best in many peoples' opinions for the same reasons...

Luckily, many others believe that another is the BEST...nice to see that, esp with the natives of Japan.

service1
Angler
Angler

Post by service1 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:42 pm

Got this off of http://www.quantumfishing.com

In 2001, not satisfied with standard lubrication, Quantum engineers set out to develop a premium, high performance, lubrication for their high-end reels. Working with several lubrication scientists, at one of the worlds best custom lubrication companies, they spent countless hours formulating and testing the best technology had to offer. What they came up with was a special, proprietary blend of synthetic and organic additives to provide the ultimate balance in performance, protection, durability, and smoothness in both grease and oil used for fishing equipment.

Although the formulation is proprietary, some aspects of it can be reveled to inform the general public. Hot Sauce grease does not have any kind of abrasives or lapping compound contained in it. The grease does, however, have a fine Teflon powder suspended in it to improve durability by reducing friction and wear. Teflon is a common additive used in lubrication. There is no such thing as ìTeflon based greaseî, as some people claim. All solid matter has a certain degree of surface roughness regardless of how smooth or how polished it is. The Teflon in Hot Sauce is formulated in such a way as to fill-in any roughness. The super slick nature of Teflon used in this manner provides unparalleled smoothness and durability. It is possible to see these Teflon particles with a good eye or microscope.

Other unique aspects of this proprietary formulation are: great adhesion to parts caused by the physical and bonding properties of the formulation; additives for superior corrosion protection in saltwater; and, long life and durability by protecting the base oil from aging.

Due to all the additives and complexity of the formulation process, Hot Sauce is not the cheapest lubrication one can find. In fact, Quantum engineers had a difficult time implementing this in production because of its high cost.

Quantum Hot Sauce can be used in any product, spinning, baitcast, trolling, or spincast with great success. Thousands of people have reaped the benefits of Hot Sauce outside of fishing products as well, like in the home and shop. The formulation makes it good for many applications where there are moving parts, wear, noise, and/or corrosion issues. The versatility of Hot Sauce makes it well suited for all freshwater and saltwater applications regardless of style or brand of reel.