Shimano Calais Maintenance???? Help

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
mps19913
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano Calais Maintenance???? Help

Post by mps19913 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:57 am

How do I remove the sideplate of the calais cl200 to get to the washers and inside gearing....??

mps19913
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Shimano Calais Maintenance???? Help

Post by mps19913 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:12 pm

anyone??? :?:

captainrab
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by captainrab » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:15 am

First remove spool and leave the easy access side plate open. Remove the handle assy, drag knob and associated washers. Look from the easy access side and you will see the screws that are necessary for removing the opposing side plate. I believe there are total of 3. Item number 2158 on the schematic. See the attached link. Once the cover is off immediately remove the 2 springs 1419 and place them in a safe place as they love to jump around the house. Hope this helps

http://www.lakeforktacklerepair.com/sch ... l200-5.pdf

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:40 am

You need to remove the left side plate and top plate before you can remove the right side plate. The top plate has 4 screws holding it on. You can see the two hidden screws by looking from the back of the reel right above the line guide.

The left side plate will require you to remove the e-clip on the pivot shaft near the front of the reel.

Once you get these parts off, the handle, and drag star you can then remove the remaining screws (3) and remove the right side plate.

justtrying
Angler
Angler

Post by justtrying » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:04 pm

earlier this year i decided to try to clean, lube, super tune & replace bearings in some of my shimano reels.
i changed 3 chronarch 50mg's, 2 metanium xt's, 1 curado, & had no problems. ...THEN, i got to my calais 200's ..it literally took me 30 minutes to find out HOW to get it apart, for, indeed, you have to remove the e clip on the pivot shaft in order to get it apart. ..once i found that out, Voila, everything went fine.
later, i bought a calais 100, decided to open it, started to take the e clip off & found out..you don't have to take it off to open the 100's. good move.

and, let me tell you...once you super tune those babies, they are like SILK.
well worth the time & effort it takes.

ronnie
thankful for every day God gives me

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:49 am

I agree the Calais 100A was so nice to repair after working on the 200 size. A few less screws and not having to remove the pivot e-clip was a relief :) Once you do enough of them they go pretty quickly though. That is why we offer the Platinum Service for the Calais reels.

justtrying
Angler
Angler

Post by justtrying » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:26 pm

bantam,
you mentioned platinum service for the calais.
i've got 2 calais 200's & 1 calais 100. ..as i mentioned, i cleaned, lubed, etc., myself.... but... would that platinum service mean that i could send them to you guys & you would do it free???

would they all have to be purchased from a dealer? (bought one from an individual)

thanks
ronnie

**i also have a couple of stellas. do they have platinum service?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:54 am

The Stella, Calais, Calcutta TE and Torsa are all covered by our Platinum Warranty. If you sent the warranty registration cards in when the reel was new you would have received two coupons. One for free service and one for 50% off of service.

We charge $25 + parts to repair the Platinum reels. Avergae repair cost is around $35.

justtrying
Angler
Angler

Post by justtrying » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:25 pm

bantam1,
thanks for the reply.

this is a "good and bad" kind of situation.
it's "bad" that i don't have coupon for free service, but, it's "good" that i've learned how to service them myself ..and, that they need so little service.

i really like shimano products... enough so that i even bought a shimano rod, & pliers.... and, my favorite "beat around" shirt is a black shimano polo, so, that's really keeping it all in the family!

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:04 am

When I have some time I will work on making some service guides for more reels. It does take me a few days with pics and text. The users of this site seem to use a pretty wide variety of reels so I will try and determine what is needed to cover this.