Shimano Reels - Core & Chronarch Mg

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
T Dot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano Reels - Core & Chronarch Mg

Post by T Dot » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:04 pm

im looking at these reels, as they are the lightest ones i can find. are there any others that can compare in their weights?

im looking for a reel where i can throw swimbaits. as per the catalog, i noticed that the core is $100 higher in price. what exactly does that $100 give me? reading their discriptions they seem very similar. for $100 i would get the core if it was suitable for bass fishing.

do you know when they will be available in a lefty?

:)

thanks

EDIT:

price is not the issue, so i dont mind spending the $100 more. i am curious to know if the benifits of the core is really needed. if not, i would purchase the mg.

a few have suggested the curado. would the curado [cu101d] would, as it is 7.4 ounces?
Last edited by T Dot on Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T Dot

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shimano Reels - Core & Chronarch Mg

Post by Phippy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:51 am

For swimbaits your much better off with the HEG gearing in the Core. Leave the MG to smaller types reaction baits and soft plastics/jigs.

If price is a issue look at the Curado 200's, yes much heavier but a very fine reel at that. But if your throwing swimbaits I wouldn't think weight would be a issue.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:28 am

T Dot wrote: what exactly does that $100 give me ?

thanks
HEG gearing.

Fishingboy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fishingboy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:28 pm

fow swimbaits, you'd be better with the new Curado, Conquest 200, Conquest 200DC or the Speedmaster 200. Or try the TD-Z BBS and Zillion from Daiwa.

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:27 pm

The ChMG isnt even an option for throwing swimbaits in my book, neither is the Core. I would look in the Citica-Curado or the Cardiff-Calcutta lines of reels. They have more line capacity and are tougher reels (stronger drag, stronger frames, etc) that could hold up to the rigors I would associate with swimbait fishing......JMO

T Dot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by T Dot » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:33 pm

Phippy wrote:For swimbaits your much better off with the HEG gearing in the Core. Leave the MG to smaller types reaction baits and soft plastics/jigs.

If price is a issue look at the Curado 200's, yes much heavier but a very fine reel at that. But if your throwing swimbaits I wouldn't think weight would be a issue.
price is not an issue. i was just curious what the $100 would give me, and if that extra $100 would be useful for swimbaits.

would any of the curado's @ 7.4 [cud101] ounces work?
T Dot

T Dot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by T Dot » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:41 pm

tj1004 wrote:The ChMG isnt even an option for throwing swimbaits in my book, neither is the Core. I would look in the Citica-Curado or the Cardiff-Calcutta lines of reels. They have more line capacity and are tougher reels (stronger drag, stronger frames, etc) that could hold up to the rigors I would associate with swimbait fishing......JMO
is there a specific model # of curado or citica i should look into? i would rather purchase a low pro reel.

so 11lbs drag on the mg / core is not suffice? there are 10lbs drag on the curado, im guessing you were not suggesting that one.

thanks
T Dot

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:08 pm

Ch50MG doesnt have 11 pounds of drag pressure, the Core might, I dont know. Pounds of drag pressure isnt what I was getting at, I was mainly talking about the ChMg because it is SO far from a SB reel. I have never used a Core on the water, and from what I saw in the stores, it is not a swimbait reel either. I use an old Curado200B for swimbaits, I would recommend either the new 300 size Curado or a Cu200DPV if you want a lo-pro.

bab33face
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bab33face » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:56 pm

Hey T Dot I got a Curado 300DSV for my swim bait duties.

Check the video.

http://rs.tennis-warehouse.com/tac/videos/SCU30D.swf

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:04 am

The Core has HEG, Magnesium frame and side plates, Magnumlite spool and Sheilded ARB bearings.

The Chronarch Mg has the Magnesium frame and Graphite side plates. This reel does not have HEG or the Magnumlite spool design.

T Dot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by T Dot » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:49 am

Bantam1 wrote:The Core has HEG, Magnesium frame and side plates, Magnumlite spool and Sheilded ARB bearings.

The Chronarch Mg has the Magnesium frame and Graphite side plates. This reel does not have HEG or the Magnumlite spool design.
are any of the 2 reels suited for swimbaits? i will be using swimbaits that are fished in the upper parts of the water column [floating / wakebaits]. right now i do not see myself fishing swimbaits in the lower parts of the water column.

out of the 2, which is better suited for my swimbait needs?

thanks
T Dot