Will shimano make a small baitcaster?

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
roachy
Angler
Angler

Will shimano make a small baitcaster?

Post by roachy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:34 am

Do you think Shimano will ever make a small baitcaster. Don't get me wrong, I love shimano's and just bought my second today (citica 200d) and also have a chronarch 100 mg. I would say for the most part, that shimano's are built like tanks and are made to last for years.. but sometimes I wonder if they will ever make a smaller reel like say a daiwa sol. After picking up the sol, I was like wow this thing is tiny.. whereas the citica just felt really solid. When shimano wants to make a reel light, they use magnesium instead of aluminum.. but how about a reel for palming. If shimano could make a reel the size of the sol and have it made of magnesium, vbs, and have the mag lite spool.. I'm sure it would be a winner in anybodies book.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Will shimano make a small baitcaster?

Post by Nitroman77 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:13 pm

The Chron/Scorpion Mg is pretty small, The reg Scorpion 1001 Curado 100, Citica 100 those are pretty small. ;) Maybe not as small as the pixy, or sols, but they are pretty close.
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

roachy
Angler
Angler

Post by roachy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:29 pm

Yeah, I know that those are considered small compared to other shimano's.. but look at daiwa they have the presso, sol, and liberto pixy. If shimano made a reel that was comparable to the pixy, that would kick some serious butt.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:48 pm

roachy wrote:If shimano made a reel that was comparable to the pixy, that would kick some serious butt.
Keep in mind, the Pixy is not offered in the US Market by Daiwa USA. The only real "finesse" reel offered by Daiwa USA is the TD Sol.

The Chronarch 50/51 Mg is more than a sufficient market match for the TD Sol.

If you want to open up the discussion to Japanese Domestic Products (products that are not really discussed in this forum), and you want something intended for finesse applications from Shimano, you need only look to the Conquest 50/51s (Shallow Spool models) ...
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

roachy
Angler
Angler

Post by roachy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:50 pm

I'm not tring to open up a can of worms and put down shimano in any way. I love my shimano reels and don't own any daiwa reels. I am not overly familiar with many of the Shimano JDM reels, for I have never used one. I know a fair amount about them through the internet, but like I said, have never used one. Same goes for the Daiwa imports.

So mainly focusing on the US models, I've never picked up a core. So I can't comment about the reel.

With my 100mg.. yes, it is very light and is an extremely nice reel. But other than it being light, i would say that the Sol is much smaller than the 100mg.

What I originally meant by my title, is shimano going to eventually make a small very palmable reel. There is a difference between being small and being light. You can have a light reel that is not overly small, and a really small reel that isn't overly light either. A lot of it has to do with the materials used to make the reel.

I'm using the Sol as a reference, because I'm pretty familiar with the reel. With the Sol, it is what I call small. It sits low on a rod and is just small... it isn't the lightest reel on the market at 7.4 oz.

With the 50mg, it is very light (5.9 oz), but it doesnt sit overly low on the rod. It is a small reel, don't get me wrong, but just seems bigger than the sol.

So what I'm getting at is a small, very palmable reel that incorporates many of shimano's features would be a great reel. This is just my observation, so someone may think that the current reels are more than adequate.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:10 pm

Future marketing plans, release, products, campaigns, etc., even if known...will not be divulged by Bantam1...as he has already mentioned.

Unfortunately. ;)

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:02 pm

Cal wrote: The Chronarch 50/51 Mg is more than a sufficient market match for the TD Sol.
You answer:
With my 100mg.. yes, it is very light and is an extremely nice reel. But other than it being light, i would say that the Sol is much smaller than the 100mg.
There is a size difference between the 50Mg and the 100Mg.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:10 am

The Chronarch 50/51 MG and the Citica/Curado 100D models are the smallest we offer in a low profile design. The CTE50GT or Calcutta 50B are the smallest round reels we offer.

I believe that you will be pleased with the Chronarch 50/51 MG for your finesse reel.

blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:57 am

Yes, I can see the future....in 2010 they will call it a Core 50MG7!

Its kind of funny seeing these posts from 4 years ago. :lol:

tonyex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tonyex » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:03 am

Agree. It is not time to delete those "unactualized" posts? /T
Live 2 fish <>< , forced 2 work.

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:02 am

I almost answered a few of them. "DAH".

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:34 am

I did it earlier...don't feel bad. Just hit the "delete post" when you go to edit.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:52 pm

How about rephrasing for today? Will we see a small(er) baitcaster? :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:22 am

The Core 50/51 MG and Curado 50/51 are pretty small reels with really light spools. I think they are about as small as they will get.