ICAST

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: ICAST

Post by vArm » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:31 pm

Mike Andrews wrote:
Speckled wrote: WTF
+1

I'm underwhelmed..... :doh:
X2 ! ! !
MegabassUSA.com

blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:29 am

legendaryyaj wrote:
Drewbass wrote:Its more like $200 vs $179. I believe Daiwa has release new models with new technology.
No. $300 for a Japan made reel now $200. Tell me how is that the same?

What technology does that pixy have to justify a $499 price tag? The only new technology is the 3D mag braking and I'm sure its not going to double your casting difference so if you can justify the price then go ahead.
The T-wing system is also new technology. I will be buying/trying one of the new T3's for sure. =D>

Drewbass
Angler
Angler

Post by Drewbass » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:46 am

The Curado 200E7 was made in Japan and retailed for $179. The New Chronarch which is basically the same reel with a new paint scheme and retails for $200. Its really not that hard to understand. Daiwa has developed a new line guide called the T-wing. It looks promising and is considered revolutionary.

legendaryyaj wrote:
No. $300 for a Japan made reel now $200. Tell me how is that the same?

What technology does that pixy have to justify a $499 price tag? The only new technology is the 3D mag braking and I'm sure its not going to double your casting difference so if you can justify the price then go ahead.

Gopher
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Gopher » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:18 pm

I look forward to ICAST like a kid with rich grandparents looks forward to Christmas.

I'm a Shimano guy but I own Daiwa and Garcia too. Companies ebb and flow.

Right now, I'm throwing up in my mouth over what Shimano has done with their reels.

I also think Shimano er... SHAMano has really made price point errors. What they are doing is akin to when Chrysler did brilliant things like taking a K car and slapping Fifth Avenue on it. I wanted to see an IMPROVED Curado at the same price point, not whatever they are doing.

I'm totally lost with their lineup, the quality, what's what and I follow this stuff like all you guys do.

I like the "Cumarizing" of their rod line but I still like some rods to have cork grips and FULL grips. Everything changed with this lineup.

[-X Shamano. You guys better educate the public and fast if we are missing something. Otherwise, no more baitcasting or spinning reels for me from you guys.

fob bob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fob bob » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:21 pm

camon guys so much bashin.... anyone got a confirmed release date to retailers for the spinning reels?

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:47 pm

Does anyone have a confirmed weight on the Sustain series?

gpoler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gpoler » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:00 am

Gopher wrote:I look forward to ICAST like a kid with rich grandparents looks forward to Christmas.

I'm a Shimano guy but I own Daiwa and Garcia too. Companies ebb and flow.

Right now, I'm throwing up in my mouth over what Shimano has done with their reels.

I also think Shimano er... SHAMano has really made price point errors. What they are doing is akin to when Chrysler did brilliant things like taking a K car and slapping Fifth Avenue on it. I wanted to see an IMPROVED Curado at the same price point, not whatever they are doing.

I'm totally lost with their lineup, the quality, what's what and I follow this stuff like all you guys do.

I like the "Cumarizing" of their rod line but I still like some rods to have cork grips and FULL grips. Everything changed with this lineup.

[-X Shamano. You guys better educate the public and fast if we are missing something. Otherwise, no more baitcasting or spinning reels for me from you guys.

I agree with you, but if the baitcasting line was a step back, the spinning reels are really very good ( sustain and stradic)

I cannot understand why Shimano made those things, they could revise only chronarch, made a metal side plate and leave the curado the same as E, not renaming the Curado E as CronarchE
CANNONDALE USER!!!!!!!!!!!

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:01 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:Does anyone have a confirmed weight on the Sustain series?
Shimano's website even says "TBD" on weight...

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:12 pm

gpoler wrote: I cannot understand why Shimano made those things, they could revise only chronarch, made a metal side plate and leave the curado the same as E, not renaming the Curado E as CronarchE
Agree.

I mentioned this in a another thread: If the new Chronarch E was to share the same platform as the Curado E, but they would've made the sideplates and drag star aluminum and also used Shimano ARB bearings instead of the SS bearings and charged $250 give or take, I think there would be less backlash from the Shimano faithfuls, especially from those who love their Chronarch D's.

HdnRibs
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HdnRibs » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:27 pm

Gopher wrote:I also think Shimano er... SHAMano has really made price point errors. What they are doing is akin to when Chrysler did brilliant things like taking a K car and slapping Fifth Avenue on it. I wanted to see an IMPROVED Curado at the same price point, not whatever they are doing.
I used to sell those cars. :whistle: I don't know how, but I did! :big grin:
Fighting the tackle monkey day by day hour by hour

DarrenM
Angler
Angler

Post by DarrenM » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:29 am

Not overly impressed with the casting lineup, but the new spinnig reels with X-ship look sweet. But I'll stick with my FI series Stradics. Was never a big fan of the white/pearl coloring...(edit: staying with the FI series not because of the new color, but because of the wallet! ;) )

I'm trying to wrap my head around the rods. They look nice, each upgraded, but I prefer cork handles. And especially the "B"grips on the Compres. And I for one am not thrilled with the loss of size variety. I LOVE my 5'9" MF Compre spinning rod for kayak fishing. A perfect size for skipping in tight spots and more. Was actually going to consider another one this year, but haven't been able to find one recently.

C'est la vie. 'suppose they're taking the pulse of the majority and what sells best, catering thusly. It's business, after all. Guess I'll have to settle for a 6' Clarus as a future replacement...

Hm. Curious as to how the over-the-counter warranty will work. If I need to claim warranty on the 5'9" Compre, what would the replacement be?
Last edited by DarrenM on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Native Ultimate 12 Yak fisherman | Shimano junkie

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:35 am

Thought the weight would already be determined since everything else is already stated.

mundo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mundo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:16 am

WOW ! Shimano is certainly taking a blow from TT with their smart marketing move.

Bantam will not be very happy when he returns from ICAST, lets wait for his comments...

Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassboss » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:57 am

hahahaha... can't wait to see how bantum tries to cover shimano's butt with the new casting reels!! :lol:

IMO good move on the rods though, I don't mind the EVA grips, they're cheaper... so you CAN get a better blank for the money. I doubt They wouldn't done what they did with em if they still had cork grips.

DarrenM
Angler
Angler

Post by DarrenM » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:15 am

Bassboss wrote:hahahaha... can't wait to see how bantum tries to cover shimano's butt with the new casting reels!! :lol:

IMO good move on the rods though, I don't mind the EVA grips, they're cheaper... so you CAN get a better blank for the money. I doubt They wouldn't done what they did with em if they still had cork grips.
Did not consider the EVA being a cheaper add-on to bring better price-point with better blank. Makes sense. Love the finger notch in the cork grips, but I guess my biggest gripe would be fewer options for rod sizes. Love Shimano products in general. When Bass Pro gets them in stock I'll get my hands on some, have a more informed opinion then.
Native Ultimate 12 Yak fisherman | Shimano junkie