type of shimano grease and its purpose

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Zest
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

type of shimano grease and its purpose

Post by Zest » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:53 am

bantam,
from the picture we have 5 type of grease produce by shimano,which is:-
-ace-2 (i believe is drag grease)
-ship-O (nobody talk bout this grease at all)
-permalube (recommended for spinning gear from what i know)
-TBM-O unilight (light drag grease?)
-TBM-O (also drag grease?whats the different with ace-2 then?)

i would like to know the different in compounds and its uses,especially the ship-o because i'm having it now and i get zero information from the mr.google regarding this ship-o thing

so i have the ship-o and ace-2 grease,but i can't obtain the permalub which is from what i know recommended in spinning reel.i'm currently rebuilding my stradic FJ 1000,can i use the ship-O for main drive gear and worm shaft? ship-O is very thin grease and ace-2 is kinda thick i fear the whole system would become sluggish

and which grease should be use for plastic parts like rotor friction ring(rubber compound parts),is other grease harmful to non-metalic parts?

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: type of shimano grease and its purpose

Post by Strewth » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:59 pm

This is a common question and I'm surprised there is so little information out there. From the SE Asian catalog we get

TBM-O BNT2960 => Drive/pinion gears (trolling reels)

ACE 2 BNT2959 => Drive/pinion gears (baitcast/trolling reels), Ball bearings (baitcast/trolling/jig reels), Drag washers(baitcast/trolling/jig reels)

Permalub RD10050 => Drive/pinion gears (spin reels), Small gears (baitcast/trolling/jig reels)

Following a recommendation from a Shimano Tech, I have found the BNT2960 works great on the (non-spool) ball bearings and gears for baitacasters. It has a low viscosity and gives a quiet and smooth operation. I believe the grease was originally developed for Triton Beast Master reels - hence the TBM name. Ace-2 is fine for drag washers and is just as good as Cals IMHO. It is quite sticky, and needs to be used sparingly on gears (only half a gear should be coated).

Can't help you with the others.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:28 am

Ship- 0 was a grease that was used on spinning reels prior to Permalube. The TBM-0 Unilight is new to me. I have never seen that grease and have no idea what models it is for. We offer different products in the US so we do not use the same lubricants.

ACE2 is used on all of ourr drag washers and gears for all reels (except spinning). We found it performs better for the US applications.

Permalube is what we are using on the spinning reel main gears.

I reduced TBM-0 with our oil to use on roller bearings.

Zest
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zest » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:24 am

are these grease safe to non-metalic parts?like nylon idle gear and friction ring,i know some lube can make rubber and plastic part soften or swell

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:56 am

All the grease is fine for the idle gears and other parts except for the friction ring. Only use Perma Lube on the friction ring.