Gloomis warranty

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Shim_Dai_Ano_Wa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Gloomis warranty

Post by Shim_Dai_Ano_Wa » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Yes..

I know this is a shimano product support butt.....

Since shimano bought out gloomis I figure you can provide some input.

Gloomis no longer has the $50!no. Question ask replacement program and I see a $20 processing fee and may be additional charges if the rod is out of warranty.

So my question is, if a rod is life time warranty.does it go out of warranty? Say like a Teramar that has been replaced by a split grip Teramar.

Who makes the determination if the rod was broken under "normal" fishign condition? What ever normal means...
Or a gloomis surf rod that was made with cork before and now is made by foam.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Gloomis warranty

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:32 am

The Xpeditor service is still available and the fee is now $100. Only current model rods are covered. Discontinued rods need to be sent in for warranty evaluation.

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/ ... ogram.html

The warranty has not changed. The rods are covered for life against material and manufacturer defects. In a situation where the rod is found not to be covered, we will offer you a discounted replacement. If the rod model has been discontinued, you would receive the new version. We have a rod inspector that has been in the position for 25 years. She is good at her job and has seen just about everything.

Here is how I look at rod failures. If the rod is several years old and failed, the chances are that the rod was damaged at some point. A true defective rod will fail very quickly. Rods can get dinged from contact damage, rub on a rod locker (which will make the material thinner and create a weak spot) and overloaded from bouncing fish or high sticking the rod. These are the most common failures.

Shim_Dai_Ano_Wa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shim_Dai_Ano_Wa » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:07 am

Bantam1 wrote:The Xpeditor service is still available and the fee is now $100. Only current model rods are covered. Discontinued rods need to be sent in for warranty evaluation.

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/ ... ogram.html

The warranty has not changed. The rods are covered for life against material and manufacturer defects. In a situation where the rod is found not to be covered, we will offer you a discounted replacement. If the rod model has been discontinued, you would receive the new version. We have a rod inspector that has been in the position for 25 years. She is good at her job and has seen just about everything.

Here is how I look at rod failures. If the rod is several years old and failed, the chances are that the rod was damaged at some point. A true defective rod will fail very quickly. Rods can get dinged from contact damage, rub on a rod locker (which will make the material thinner and create a weak spot) and overloaded from bouncing fish or high sticking the rod. These are the most common failures.

I swore I never high stick that rod.. :oops:

Some of my rods just sit on my rod rack and their still new never touched. I have several burcarra rods new never fished. And reels to. I'm serious never touched water. The bucara rods are no longer on gloomis webpage. Are those considered old or discontinued rods?

How about the gloomis sur1324s that has been replaced by imx sur1324s....

Those actions on the rods are 2 different rods and material.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:47 am

The models you listed are discontinued. Yes the action is slightly different between the SUR and the IMX SUR. The IMX is a much better casting rod than the original SUR.