Weird issue with 2 Chronarch/Crucial combos: Frame flex?

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
TNBassin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Weird issue with 2 Chronarch/Crucial combos: Frame flex?

Post by TNBassin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:34 am

While out on the water I wanted to deactivate a brake on my Chronarch, but I couldn't get the side plate off. I picked up my other Chronarch which also sits on a Crucial, and couldn't get that side plate off. So I try again when I get home and still couldn't get it to budge, so I decided to take the reels off the rods and see what was up. Off the rods they both open smoothly and quickly. ON the rods however, they won't pop loose so I can access the brakes. I mounted one of the reels on my Omen, and it pops open fine. Does anyone know I don't understand is going on? One Crucial is a 7'MH Med Fast rod and the other is a 7'2 MH XF rod. Seems when the reel seat is tightened down is when the issue pops up, but I don't over tighten it at all. It's not a HUGE deal, but I would prefer to not loosen the reel seat up while out on the water just to make adjustments to my brakes.

When I got home, decided to see if "shimming" the reel seat on both Crucials would help. I took 2 small pieces of cotton from a q tip and put some in the front and back of the reel seat and snugged the reel to the rod. Lo and behold, it worked. Seems to me that the reel seat on the Crucials I have is too deep causing me to have to maybe over tighten the handle which is causing stress somewhere which binds it up. The reel is smooth and there's no added resistance when turning the handle. I even swapped out one of my Chronarchs this morning at BPS to see if the new reel would have the issue, and sure enough it did. Shimmed the seat, and it's fine. Does anyone know what is going on with my rods/reels?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Weird issue with 2 Chronarch/Crucial combos: Frame flex?

Post by cndbasshunter » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:02 am

Sounds like the reel seat is causing your frame to flex. Crazy..

TNBassin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by TNBassin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:29 am

I've never had this issue before. I just got rid of my Revos and got these 2 combos. I never thought I would have these issues with Shimano gear. Hoping Bantam1 can shed some light on what's going on. EDIT: Seems this issue is only affecting the LHR Chronarch which is what I have. Went to BPS this morning, and got to talking with the guy behind the reel counter about my issue. He offered to test out another 201e6 on a Crucial they had right there on the rack, and that reel had the same issue. Then he grabbed the right hand model out of the display case and it didn't have the issue no matter how hard you cranked the reel seat down. He grabbed another 201e6 from a sealed box and tried it out, and it had the issue. Hoping Bantam1 can help me out on this one.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:45 pm

I answered your PM. I can check in a couple of days when I have the rods and reels handy. I'm several hundred miles away from my destination and will not have products there until the rep meets us Wednesday evening.