Anti reverse pawl

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Anti reverse pawl

Post by Pegasus » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:12 pm

Bantam
Do you think its a good idea to remove the anti reverse pawl in my chronarch

Regards

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Anti reverse pawl

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:39 am

We always recommend running it since it is a backup should the bearing slip or fail. However, if you want to run that risk you can certainly remove it. On my personal reels I remove them with exception of the reels I use for swimbait applications and saltwater.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:05 am

Probably discussed before but what is gained? Smoothness? Does handle back-play go away? Thanks.

Rick

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:50 am

The pawl is simply a backup for the bearing should it slip or fail. It adds a little friction to the reel because of how it works. Removing it will only remove some of the friction.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:53 am

What about the back play in the handle ?

Bantam1 wrote:The pawl is simply a backup for the bearing should it slip or fail. It adds a little friction to the reel because of how it works. Removing it will only remove some of the friction.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:36 am

It will not change it or affect it. Like I said and will say again. This is a back up should the bearing fail. That means if the bearing slips or fails, the mechanical ratchet (the assist stopper) will catch it and not let the handle spin backwards.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:01 am

If I would be using my reel with 16lb test line casting and pitching jigs 3/8 to 1/2oz would I want it off ?

Bantam1 wrote:It will not change it or affect it. Like I said and will say again. This is a back up should the bearing fail. That means if the bearing slips or fails, the mechanical ratchet (the assist stopper) will catch it and not let the handle spin b to /ackwards.
/

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:05 pm

Pegasus wrote:If I would be using my reel with 16lb test line casting and pitching jigs 3/8 to 1/2oz would I want it off ?

Bantam1 wrote:It will not change it or affect it. Like I said and will say again. This is a back up should the bearing fail. That means if the bearing slips or fails, the mechanical ratchet (the assist stopper) will catch it and not let the handle spin b to /ackwards.
/

Yes , yes and yes. Case closed

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:00 pm

My God
I an so sorry for causing you to burst!!!!!
You never asked a question before ?

fishingandfords wrote:
Pegasus wrote:If I would be using my reel with 16lb test line casting and pitching jigs 3/8 to 1/2oz would I want it off ?

/

Yes , yes and yes. Case closed

pro reel
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by pro reel » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:19 pm

Do you have a spinning reel? If so, it has a lever that you can flip which allows you to turn the handle backwards and backplay a fish. If you have ever used that, you will know that if you had it in that mode, and set the hook without having your hand on the handle, it would spin backwards fast and you would have a mess of line tangles and would lose the fish due to slack line. Thats the same thing that will happen if your anti reverse clutch has a catostrophic failure. The handle would spin backwards, the spool would unroll line and you would have a mess, unless you kept your hand on the handle at the time, then no problem. The AR Pawl is a backup that prevents that from happening if the AR clutch ever did fail. If it's going to fail, it will happen during a hard jerk such as during a hookset or when trying to pull loose from a snag. The bigger the fish you are setting the hook on, then the more force put against the clutch. If you do your own service, it's easy to keep the AR clutch clean and just very lightly oiled by swabbing the rollers with a Q-Tip soaked in oil. If you do that , then it shouldn't fail, unless it's abused by trying to use the reel to pull snags loose. Instead, you should wrap your line around something and pull with that.
The reason to remove them is reels run smoother and quieter without them.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:58 am

I want to thank you for you explanation , it was veyy easy to understand
I was wondering since Abu Garcia / Daiwa as I understand don't have this AR Pawl wouldn't they be afraid of
the roller baring failing just the same as you have explained ? unless they take a different preventive measure.
I have never serviced the reel myself this will be the first time that is why I am asking all these questions I don't
want to mess it up. I thank you for your help.

Regards

pro reel wrote:Do you have a spinning reel? If so, it has a lever that you can flip which allows you to turn the handle backwards and backplay a fish. If you have ever used that, you will know that if you had it in that mode, and set the hook without having your hand on the handle, it would spin backwards fast and you would have a mess of line tangles and would lose the fish due to slack line. Thats the same thing that will happen if your anti reverse clutch has a catostrophic failure. The handle would spin backwards, the spool would unroll line and you would have a mess, unless you kept your hand on the handle at the time, then no problem. The AR Pawl is a backup that prevents that from happening if the AR clutch ever did fail. If it's going to fail, it will happen during a hard jerk such as during a hookset or when trying to pull loose from a snag. The bigger the fish you are setting the hook on, then the more force put against the clutch. If you do your own service, it's easy to keep the AR clutch clean and just very lightly oiled by swabbing the rollers with a Q-Tip soaked in oil. If you do that , then it shouldn't fail, unless it's abused by trying to use the reel to pull snags loose. Instead, you should wrap your line around something and pull with that.
The reason to remove them is reels run smoother and quieter without them.

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:20 am

pro reel wrote:If it's going to fail, it will happen during a hard jerk such as during a hookset or when trying to pull loose from a snag. The bigger the fish you are setting the hook on, then the more force put against the clutch.
great explanation and info as usual!

i just wanted to add a more common type of issue i see with the IAR bearing is a temporary failure aka backreel as a result from excessive lubrication. and in cold weather conditions i notice that IAR bearings will sometimes slip...

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:26 am

The cold weather slip is from too much lube or lube that freezes. A light oil is all that is needed. Just enough to protect the rollers from corroding.

If you are pulling to clear a snag always put your thumb on the spool and point the rod at it. This will take the stress off the roller bearing and the rod.