Curado I tension cap bearing

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Curado I tension cap bearing

Post by MaxZmus » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:07 am

I just got my Curado I 201HG and saw that the bearings were packed full of grease. I took the palming side plate bearing out as usual by removing the retention clip but the bearing under the tension cap seems like it can only be removed from the inside by taking the whole reel apart...I'm wondering if this is true for the Curado I.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Curado I tension cap bearing

Post by Afrayedknot » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:55 am

There are two bearings under the spool tension.

The outer bearing has the inner diameter of the spool shaft, and is a spool bearing (1 of the 2 spool bearings). I believe this is the one that is accessible from removing the spool tension/CC knob.

The inner bearing has the inner diameter of the end of the pinion gear and is the second x-ship bearing. I believe this is only accessible from inside the sideplate though.

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:55 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:There are two bearings under the spool tension.

The outer bearing has the inner diameter of the spool shaft, and is a spool bearing (1 of the 2 spool bearings). I believe this is the one that is accessible from removing the spool tension/CC knob.

The inner bearing has the inner diameter of the end of the pinion gear and is the second x-ship bearing. I believe this is only accessible from inside the sideplate though.
So basically what you're saying is that the outer bearing(the one you see when the cap is removed) should come right out without disassembling the reel right?

HMMM.... :doh: :doh: Maybe I'm not pulling hard enough???

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:44 am

MaxZmus wrote:

So basically what you're saying is that the outer bearing(the one you see when the cap is removed) should come right out without disassembling the reel right?

Are you sure there's not a retainer holding it in place?

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:18 am

If it is like the new Chronarch, there is a black spacer (plasic/vinyl) under the spool bearing which you can lift out (I used a dental pick), then lifted out the little bearing under that. I used a bobby pin with the end bent over to lift out bearings. Both came out from the cast control cap opening. That is only if it is like the new Chronach XShip configuration. My new Chronarch spool bearings came heavily oiled, but not packed in grease.
Last edited by brownhl on Thu May 15, 2014 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:56 am

I am guessing the bearing is stuck in there. Try taking out the spool and putting it back in and see if you can push it out with the spool end.

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:50 am

facelessnewsouth wrote:
MaxZmus wrote:

No retainer clip or plastic piece. There's a spring right under the spool tension cap and that's it. I think it's like my original Antares where you do have to take the reel apart. No big deal, I got to fish it yesterday for a bit and it casted as well as I expected so I'm not going to worry about it.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:03 am

MaxZmus wrote:
facelessnewsouth wrote:
MaxZmus wrote:

No retainer clip or plastic piece. There's a spring right under the spool tension cap and that's it. I think it's like my original Antares where you do have to take the reel apart. No big deal, I got to fish it yesterday for a bit and it casted as well as I expected so I'm not going to worry about it.
Don’t force anything. Here is what I learned. As it is removed, the spring that sits in the well atop the spool bearing can scratch or gouge the surface of the well. I had this happen, and the bearing could not be pushed out even from the inside. Through trial and error, I finally took a small screwdriver and ran it around the surface of the well just below the CC cap. The bearing began to move. I smoothed the surface of the well with the blade of the screwdriver and the bearing slid right out.

It only takes a slight nick on the surface of the well below the CC cap to hold that bearing right where it is.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:00 pm

I know they come out without taking the reel apart. I put hedgehog ZRs in my curado HG

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:13 pm

I got it out just by taking the spool tension knob off to flush my bearings. It was a tight fit though.

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:03 pm

tywithay wrote:I got it out just by taking the spool tension knob off to flush my bearings. It was a tight fit though.
Now that's what I wanted to hear.

Thanks for the confirmation as well fishingandford

I will definitely try again and check the wells for knicks.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:19 pm

MaxZmus wrote:
tywithay wrote:I got it out just by taking the spool tension knob off to flush my bearings. It was a tight fit though.

You may try opening the non-handle sideplate and sliding the spool out a little. The shaft may be holding it in.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:09 am

tywithay wrote:
MaxZmus wrote:

You may try opening the non-handle sideplate and sliding the spool out a little. The shaft may be holding it in.
This particular spool bearing can be one stubborn rascal. A blast of compressed air can sometimes move it out partway and it can then be pulled out with a dental-type probe. Most hardware stores have them. If it won’t come out using this method, there is probably a nick in the well than can be smoothed out.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:06 am

Remove the spool and this will help. The grease you see is only covering the bearing to help with eliminating corrosion. It's not grease coming out of the bearing.