Shimano Expride 2 Piece

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
mdesouza
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano Expride 2 Piece

Post by mdesouza » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:37 pm

Hey Bantam

I am in the process of looking for one maybe two 2 piece casting rods for weekend camping trips. I see there are a few in the expride line up but am not sure if the 2 piece models separate in the middle of the blank (preferable) or simply a detaching handle?

These are the 4 models that I am looking at specifically, but am not sure what each of their intended application should be:

EX170MCR crankbaits?
EX173MHCR Crankbaits?
EX172MH jig and worm rod?
EX173MHPF jig and worm?

Can you please confirm where the above rods separate as well as confirm their intended application?

Thank you
Mike D

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Shimano Expride 2 Piece

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:52 am

These all separate at the handle.

EX170MCR crankbaits? Yes
EX173MHCR Crankbaits? Yes
EX172MH jig and worm rod? Yes
EX173MHPF jig and worm? Technically this is listed as a pitch/flip rod but I think its a little on the soft side for flipping.

jamesdta
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jamesdta » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:22 am

Expride does offer true 2pc models , but you may have to order from Japan .

Fishguy07
Angler
Angler

Post by Fishguy07 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:41 am

This is exactly what I did. I have the Expride 171H-2 which I ordered from Plat. I used it no more than five times last summer (2013) and it's been sitting in my storage room since, because I have no use for it anymore. It is a beautiful, true 2-piece 50/50 split rod and it comes with a factory rod sock. I will probably put it up for sale soon anyway ;)

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:05 am

I love these rods, accuracy, the perfect reel seat, nice guides and good sensitivity. These rods balance well have a good split-grip length, cork handle and incredibly strong. The rod feels so sweet when loaded up on a bass.

I have the 7'1H and 7'3XH and am getting the new 7'6H

I wanted to truly test the 2-pc connection so bought the first rod jammed it together and never touched it. It hasn't moved out or in or spun to any witch side. The connection is solid and almost permanent. I put mine up against the wall and firmly pressed the blank and handle together. Nicest shimano rod I've seen next to Cumulus and the IM-10 Black Cumara.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:25 am

MTBF wrote:I love these rods, accuracy, the perfect reel seat, nice guides and good sensitivity. These rods balance well have a good split-grip length, cork handle and incredibly strong. The rod feels so sweet when loaded up on a bass.

Nicest shimano rod I've seen next to Cumulus and the IM-10 Black Cumara.
These rods do feel super nice at the store. But the One Year Warranty is kind of holding me back. Through the years, I've broken a total of 3 rods, all due to fishing "accidents". Not due to just plain ignorance but more so stuff like lifting a fish onto a boat, a jig sling-shotting back into the blank while trying to break off a snag, casting a spinnerbait into the rod tip during howling winds and over 30 MPH gusts - Wow, now I feel like Bill Dance bloopers. I don't really like to baby my rods so a lifetime warranty gives me peace of mind when I'm out fishing hard.

Are there options available after the 1 year warranty period is over? Can the rod be repaired or replaced by Shimano at a cost to the customer? Or are they pretty much SOL? :-k Bantam? I would assume they are on their own.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:52 am

The rod failures you described are not covered by warranty anyways. Those fall under accidental breakage. A lifetime warranty would not be beneficial in those circumstances. As we all know a true defective rod will fail within the first few uses. From our studies we have found that it will almost always happen within 30 days or less.

There is nothing planned right now for life after the warranty. There have been discussions, but nothing has been decided on.