Spinning reel noise help.

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Spinning reel noise help.

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:31 am

I have an 09 Complex 2500 F6 made in Japan. It is very similar to older Stellas in it's construction.

My problem is a clicking noise upon the down stroke of the spool. It has the Rigid support drag inside the spool and it sounds like some contact is made at the lowest point of travel. Any ideas? Thank you

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spinning reel noise help.

Post by facelessnewsouth » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:02 am

If the spool is making contact on the downstroke, the solution may be as simple as adding a shim under the spool. If I'm not mistaken, most reels will come with a plastic shim or two in the box. If you don't have these shims, I believe the part number is RD 8068 for the stella 2500 FD, not sure how your reel compares to this one.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:29 am

It could be making contact. Remove the spool and check for the shims. It they are present then there is another issue. It could be as severe as a bearing for the worm shaft that fell apart, or the worm and pawl are in need of replacement.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:32 am

I have 2 thin and 2 thick shims. I tried them to the point the drag clicker was no longer audible. Even with 3 shims it is still ticking on the down stroke. This does not occur with the spool off the reel. I am baffled.

Maybe I should listen to Bantam1 and buy USDM. I just couldn't pass up on a made in Japan spinner for $ 200

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:13 am

Noises are hard to diagnose over the internet. It could just be a worn worm haft and pawl. Sometimes you can shim the worm shaft and/or pawl to eliminate the noise. Without hearing it I can't accurately diagnose where the noise is coming from.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:57 am

So I'll put masking tape Stella logo on her and send it in haha.

I'll have to see what I can do...