Help - Should I throw my Chronarch 50mg in the Garbage

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Dave Stratos
Angler
Angler

Help - Should I throw my Chronarch 50mg in the Garbage

Post by Dave Stratos » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:26 am

Need some help here. The other day I took my Chronarch 50 mg apart to flush the bearings and service it which I occasionally do and some how I lost the insert that goes in to the frame for the clutch pawl spring. I have taken a fair amount of these reel apart and I never noticed a removable insert but I did look at another Chronarch that I have and it looks like it is possible to push out the insert from the outside of the reel. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this was a nice perfectly working reel. I looked at the schematic and it doesn't show an insert and a new frame is $100+.

I took another Chronarch apart and there is a small silver insert. Anyone know a part number or if I can buy one of these.

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Help - Should I throw my Chronarch 50mg in the Garbage

Post by Demoman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:13 am

Just to make you feel better, I had a small piece left over after servicing one of my Tatula type r's. It was the clutch pawl de tent thing like you are dealing with. Nearly took me 3 days to figure out where it went!!! Like you, I didn't notice it on the schematic either. Wish you the best of luck!!

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:34 am

one of mine rebuilds is missing this part. I have the spring end just stuck in the hole, with the wire sticking out. A season in and it still functions totally normal. I expect it to bind at some point but aside from the slight cosmetic drawback if you flip the reel over and see the wire sticking out, it functions just fine.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:19 pm

Things like this happen (unfortunately). With winter coming, sounds like a good indoor project to fashion one your self. Since you have another as a template, find something close in size in your collection of "screws, nuts and fasteners" and grab a small file and "give it a go". I'm fairly confident you'll be able to fashion something that will be more than serviceable.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:55 pm

This bushing was there to prevent a potential corrosion point when used in salt or brackish water. It prevented metal on metal contact. The clutch will function without this bushing. I will ask our repair department if we have any of these parts around.

Yamafish
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Yamafish » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:41 pm

I had the same problem a while back. I posted the question here but never got an answer. I ended up using part number BNT-1201 (retractor spring collar) from a Chronarch 100A. Worked perfectly for me. Hoped this helps out.

Randy

Dave Stratos
Angler
Angler

Post by Dave Stratos » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:53 pm

Thanks guys for all the replys and ideas for getting this reel back together. Bantam if you happened to have one of these bushing laying around somewhere it would be greatly appreciated. - Dave