Shimano Metanium MG7 V2 info?

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano Metanium MG7 V2 info?

Post by rockchalk06 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:12 pm

I noticed one listed in the classifieds. I have only seen two in my life. One (ugly) tricked out on eBay and this one. How many were produced? What other variants were made off the Core/Met MG Platform?

This what I have owned/found/own so far. I'm kind of weirdly addicted to this platform.
Metanium MG7
Metanium MG
Metanium MG7 V2
Metanium MG DC
Metanium MG DC7
Core 100MG
Core 100MG7
Core 100MGFV
Exsence DC

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Shimano Metanium MG7 V2 info?

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:22 am

I'm not sure what the V2 is. I have not seen this one in the Japan catalogs or heard any discussion about it. This could have been a project with an aftermarket company like ZPI. The owner of ZPI and one of the head R&D people at Shimano Japan are good friends.

The Excsence DC is aluminum and built off the Metanium XT/Chronarch D tooling. While they were the same shape, there were some slight differences between these and the Core 100/MET MG models. The frame was modified slightly for the DC unit and the A side-side plate for the X-Ship.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:36 am

Bantam1 wrote:
I'm not sure what the V2 is. I have not seen this one in the Japan catalogs or heard any discussion about it. ..
Here is a couple of pics Dan. Hope this helps. I've been intrigued for quiet a while to know the story behind it as well ...

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... v2#p536884

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:16 am

Bantam1 wrote:I'm not sure what the V2 is. I have not seen this one in the Japan catalogs or heard any discussion about it. This could have been a project with an aftermarket company like ZPI. The owner of ZPI and one of the head R&D people at Shimano Japan are good friends.

The Excsence DC is aluminum and built off the Metanium XT/Chronarch D tooling. While they were the same shape, there were some slight differences between these and the Core 100/MET MG models. The frame was modified slightly for the DC unit and the A side-side plate for the X-Ship.
Thank you!

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:21 am

It looks like a different color drag star and a different handle. I looked through the old Japan catalogs and it wasn't in there. This must have been a short run place holder while the current Metanium was getting ready for release. I will ask about it and see what I can find out.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:59 pm

I was able to get more info on this model. In Japan some of the better (or higher volume) dealers are allowed to create limited models. This particular reel has the two tone color on the body, silver drag star and stock handle with Yumeya knobs. Aside from the appearance and handle knobs, this reel is no different than the Metanium MG7.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:35 am

Bantam1 wrote:I was able to get more info on this model. In Japan some of the better (or higher volume) dealers are allowed to create limited models. This particular reel has the two tone color on the body, silver drag star and stock handle with Yumeya knobs. Aside from the appearance and handle knobs, this reel is no different than the Metanium MG7.

Thanks for your help bud!

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:12 am

Needs a set brass tears from the mg7

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:40 am

fishingandfords wrote:Needs a set brass tears from the mg7

I've done this to all 3 of mine. Don't trust the aluminum for jigs in cover.

DammitKhoa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DammitKhoa » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:23 am

Bantam1 wrote:I was able to get more info on this model. In Japan some of the better (or higher volume) dealers are allowed to create limited models. This particular reel has the two tone color on the body, silver drag star and stock handle with Yumeya knobs. Aside from the appearance and handle knobs, this reel is no different than the Metanium MG7.
Thanks a lot! Always wondered about the MG7 V2.

Although Shimano offers a solid, solid lineup, I wish they would release some special editions such as above. Subtle changes in the handle and it becomes such a gorgeous reel. Upgraded parts would be icing on the cake for sure.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:52 am

Thanks for your time !

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:23 am

DammitKhoa wrote:
Thanks a lot! Always wondered about the MG7 V2.

Although Shimano offers a solid, solid lineup, I wish they would release some special editions such as above. Subtle changes in the handle and it becomes such a gorgeous reel. Upgraded parts would be icing on the cake for sure.
It would be difficult here because of the spare parts supply. Americans tend to be just a little bit harder on their gear and do not believe in maintenance like they do in Japan. Plus these dealers are ordering a pretty large amount of reels to get the special version. Most of the dealers here don't want that large of an inventory.