Brand new Stradic FK Rotor Issue

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Brand new Stradic FK Rotor Issue

Post by fishballer06 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:06 pm

I just bought a brand new 3000 Stradic FK and I pulled it out of the box and instantly noticed, what I think, is an issue.

I took the reel out of the box and tightened down the handle. I then turned the reel somewhat upside down and the rotor fell off. It didn't fully come off because the spool prevents that, but it came out of place. I can see that there are what look like teeth in there that the rotor should sit in. I pushed it back down into place and it fit back on. But then I wiggled it and it has a lot of side to side play in it. I then pulled barely up on it and it popped off again. So I put it back into place and turned it upside down and it fell off again.

I can put it back in place and crank it and it seems just fine. However it has a lot of wiggle back and forth if you touch it. I'm afraid to even try to spool this brand new reel up and fish it. I feel certain that this rotor would pop right out under the load of fighting a fish.

I own a Sahara, a Symetre, and 2 Saros reels, and none of them have this kind of wiggle, and the rotor certainly doesn't pop out of place on any of them.

What is going on with my new Stradic? What do you advise I do?

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Brand new Stradic FK Rotor Issue

Post by JerryC » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:16 pm

Pics?

Does sound strange, shouldnt move like that at all..

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:16 pm

fishballer06 wrote:I just bought a brand new 3000 Stradic FK and I pulled it out of the box and instantly noticed, what I think, is an issue.

I took the reel out of the box and tightened down the handle. I then turned the reel somewhat upside down and the rotor fell off. It didn't fully come off because the spool prevents that, but it came out of place. I can see that there are what look like teeth in there that the rotor should sit in. I pushed it back down into place and it fit back on. But then I wiggled it and it has a lot of side to side play in it. I then pulled barely up on it and it popped off again. So I put it back into place and turned it upside down and it fell off again.

I can put it back in place and crank it and it seems just fine. However it has a lot of wiggle back and forth if you touch it. I'm afraid to even try to spool this brand new reel up and fish it. I feel certain that this rotor would pop right out under the load of fighting a fish.

I own a Sahara, a Symetre, and 2 Saros reels, and none of them have this kind of wiggle, and the rotor certainly doesn't pop out of place on any of them.

What is going on with my new Stradic? What do you advise I do?
i'd return for a new reel. it's new shouldn't have any issues or rotor falling out.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:02 am

Check your PM that I responded to. Our QC guy may want the reel back to see what happened and create a process improvement. It sounds like the rotor nut is missing.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:12 am

Bantam1 wrote:Check your PM that I responded to. Our QC guy may want the reel back to see what happened and create a process improvement. It sounds like the rotor nut is missing.
Bantam always making things right!!! =D>

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:32 am

Enjoy it while you can. I will be moving into a different position on November 16th and handing over this duty to someone else.

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:38 am

Thanks Bantam for helping. In my 30+ Shimano's that I have owned, this is the first one to ever give me an issue.

On:

Off:

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:18 am

O yea she's frigged up :shock: . I have not seen it in 4 years at the store I work for with a Shimano reel but it's bund to happen. Your already being taken care of, hopefully you can get it swapped without loosing too much time or money.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:51 pm

It will be handled quickly.

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:06 am

Shimano sent me a free return label yesterday and I have already sent the reel back to Shimano. They will be sending me a free replacement. =D>

Lexy 123
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lexy 123 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:56 pm

fishballer06 wrote:Shimano sent me a free return label yesterday and I have already sent the reel back to Shimano. They will be sending me a free replacement. =D>
This is one of the reason I love Shimano. Their customer service is the best in business.