New Antares MGL

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: New Antares MGL

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:29 am

Gear material should be brass like the previous Antares model.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:40 pm

Bantam1 wrote:Gear material should be brass like the previous Antares model.
I noticed that the newest Antares has 11 ball bearings. I have fished Shimano reels with only 4 ball bearings for years, with no problems.
Is Shimano using more bearings now because bearings are less expensive than they were in the past?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:00 am

The Antares/Calais models always had a high bearing count. Most of our newer models have 5+ bearings due to X-Ship.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:19 am

Bantam1 wrote:The Antares/Calais models always had a high bearing count. Most of our newer models have 5+ bearings due to X-Ship.
Thanks. Does the bearing under the spool tension cap do the same thing as the X ship bearing on the handle side of the pinion gear?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:33 pm

The bearing under the cast control knob is only for the X-Ship on the new Antares model. There is now a bearing on the spool instead of the cast control knob.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:57 pm

Bantam1 wrote:The bearing under the cast control knob is only for the X-Ship on the new Antares model. There is now a bearing on the spool instead of the cast control knob.
Thanks.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:26 pm

I'm excited to try one, not sure if I can swing it with all the other gear I'm getting this spring but for sure next year it's on the wish list :D
mtfishing IG

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:27 pm

Only places for bearings (not Chinese 14++++ in handle count) are:

2 pinion
2 spool
2 main shaft
1 anti reverse
2 levelwind
2 in each knob (4 total)

So anything over 13 makes me question it.

Shimano always seems to have them where they count, 2 spool 2 pinion, so 4 of the most important ones are right there, which no one else uses aside of higher end Daiwa's. The Metanium MGL got the extra main shaft, I think the Bantam MGL has it, wish the Aldebaran did. Wonder if it could be added to models that don't have the extra mainshaft bearing, like the Curado 70/Aldebaran/13 Metanium???

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:19 am

The side plate design does not have the correct sizing for the bearing. The '13 Metanium uses a bushing in place of the bearing with a longer inner tube for the anti reverse. You would not really gain much by trying to add a bearing to the Metanium. With the Curado there simply isn't enough room for one.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:40 pm

Bujeezus...had to search all over for the Antares thread. Ashamed we can't consider this reel Enthusiest and Import Tackle...

Anyhoo, these are on the shelves in select Proshops in Japan now (not-pre order) Not in Digitaka or Japan Tackle yet, but should be in the next day or so.

Tempted to veer from my Daiwa roots..

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:05 am

Bantam1 wrote:The side plate design does not have the correct sizing for the bearing. The '13 Metanium uses a bushing in place of the bearing with a longer inner tube for the anti reverse. You would not really gain much by trying to add a bearing to the Metanium. With the Curado there simply isn't enough room for one.
Thanks, I thought the same thing bout the Aldebaran. With a good material, and one support bearing/anti-reverse there should be enough support for the main shaft. I would rather have an extra bearing on the pinion/spool, that is one of the issues I have with cheaper Daiwa reels and all of the Abu/Lews/others. I still never found out if the Bantam MGL had 2 main shaft bearings (9 total) or just one like the Aldebaran.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:12 am

The Bantam has a bearing above the roller bearing and of course one on the bottom of the driveshaft.