Chronarch MGL Pawl Production Change?

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Chronarch MGL Pawl Production Change?

Post by wilddog66 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:02 pm

I own 3 Chronarch MGL 151HG’s purchased at different times over the last 2 years. While performing clean & lube maintenance I discovered that the first one I purchased has a metal line guide pawl, whereas the 2 newer reels have what appears to be a ceramic pawl. Is this the result of a production change? I typically keep a few common spare parts on hand for each model reel I own, if I order a replacement pawl (BNT5115) which one would I receive? Just curious.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chronarch MGL Pawl Production Change?

Post by Slazmo » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:41 pm

Won't be ceramic bloke, that white pawl will be plastic...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:27 pm

Gotta go look at mine now. Wouldn't be too worried either way, just hope the worm gear is metal. Even if both were plastic, I have never seen a Curado K or Curado 70 posted negatively about for that part. Still at $280 I would like both to stay metal.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:36 am

The pawl is "plastic" in the MGL and G models. The engineers found the part to be more durable and more controllable for production since there is no machining of the part. It's not a true plastic or polymer, it has a self lubricating property and is much harder than normal plastic. It has very high wear resistance.

In our repair department we have seen less issues with the worm shaft and pawls made of the new material. I know everyone freaks out because some parts are not metal, but this is the way of the future. Firearms, automobiles, aircraft...all have been using materials like this for much longer than we have. They cost a lot more and you don't hear about failures.

I know this is a losing argument but I see the back end of all of this and know what the longevity is and how they are holding up in the market.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:50 am

Bantam1 wrote: Firearms, automobiles, aircraft...all have been using materials like this for much longer than we have. They cost a lot more and you don't hear about failures.
Im in the automotive business, and Im gonna have to disagree with you. And these arent even on "moving" parts. Firearms have metal inserts where the frame is so the "metal" slide can "slide" on the metal inserts. But weve been here before. :lol:
<")))><{

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:07 pm

I love seeing plastic rocker covers warping and leaking because some engineer said "plastic is strong enough"...

Its a losing battle with consumers - for my belief is that consumers want products to be of quality and material they they paid for. I mean anyone going to buy a plastic Rolex?

My honest 2c.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:36 am

I used to be an ASE master tech and a Toyota master tech. I built road race cars, SCORE type trucks, metal fabrication, suspension design...I know about automobiles. A plastic intake manifold takes more abuse than a fishing reel ever will with temp changes, flex, vibration, etc. I agree plastic for a rocker shaft isn't a good idea.

It's all about the demands of the part. A worm shaft and pawl can be plastic and work 100% and last a very long time. The worm shaft is maybe 1.5 inches long and tracks back and forth. It does not have different forces applied to it with a controlled explosion taking place a few inches below it like a rocker shaft. It's not being saturated with high temperature oil and carbon baking onto it. It does not see temperatures change from 210+ to sub freezing. The worm shaft is not running at high RPM, or has excessive forces being applied while winding in fish or your lure.

The frame still supports the slide rails and locking block on a Glock for example. That sees more g-force than a fishing reel, or worm shaft will ever experience. Like magic the frame absorbs the force, flexes and returns to it's original shape. And those are made of simple Nylon 6 or 7. The material we are using on the pawl is much stronger and has self lubricating properties. It only rotates back and forth a few degrees in either direction.

We are talking about fishing reels here. We rarely see issues now with worm shafts, and even then they were not a high failure part except in saltwater applications. I have seen ceramic pawls fail much quicker and have many more issues. These seem to be installed by "reel tuners" in reels like the Calcutta TE. The metal worm shafts require machining which introduces tolerances. I know someone will bring up the Conquest which is a different animal. The entire reel is machined and held to extremely tight tolerances when compared to a Chronarch for example. If you want a metal pawl simple order one from the Curado 200K model and change out the white one. You will see no difference in performance and more than likely you will need to play with spacers to adjust the height/tension correctly.

Many of the Casio G-Shock watches are made of plastic :lol:

I know this is TT and everyone wants everything made from machined aluminum or other metals. Made in Japan now costs more than it did 15 years ago. The cost of raw materials is higher. Labor is higher. Transportation costs from overseas is higher. People want Walmart pricing on everything but made with Rolex construction. The QC engineers do the testing and found the longevity to be much better with the combinations they are using now. We see the results in our repair department. Based on my many years working with them I trust what they find. In the end this is about fishing reels and enjoying time on the water.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:18 am

Bantam you do good to put up with some of the whining and complaining on this forum. Thanks for your detailed explanation and of course for all the questions answered and help given on this board. Customer service is a large reason I use and recommend Shimano.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:28 am

Bantam, thank you for your response! And since I also use some of these reels in saltwater (with “G” spools), a plastic pawl sounds good to me. One less part that can corrode.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Bantam, I can appreciate the background history of your career and the time you've spent at Shimano US. I can also appreciate the opportunity to discuss the in's and outs of the production methods and quality of the products etc and why metals have turned to plastics as time passes.

For instance a recently acquired Curado DPV I got here in Aus from a Californian gent up Townsville QLD way who'd owned the reel since new and unfortunately did not service said reel for the entire life of the reel - it came to me in a sad way - since its received a total make over and a suite of parts donated from another DPV (and that better DPV receive the new parts).
The story is that the older worse shape DPV level wind shaft had lost the hard chrome plate off of it and I was expecting the worse for its shape, under closer scrutiny of the part and pawl its actually just surface corroded and wear isn't apparent. The pawl and shaft are working excellently - and I have done multiple tests to throw the pawl off centre to destroy it to which it won't.

The moral of this is sometimes the parts just don't need to be changed to qualify the need. I've seen SW Stella's throw a pawl through the worm shaft etc - cut straight horizontal through the track. This DPV of mine now a reborn favourite if mine wears most of its original parts Inc the metal pawl and shaft and shows no signs of slowing down either.

I think a lot of parts are going machine plastic to accommodate the "silent tune" features of making a reel smooth and silent more than just corrosion free.