Chronarch MGL New issue

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Chronarch MGL New issue

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:37 pm

Sent in my Chronarch MGL XG in to Shimano as it quickly became "geary". Took a month but just got it back and took it out today. They replaced the main and pinion gear and it feels great again.
Not sure what was done incorrectly but now the anti reverse slips- I have never had a reel do this. Any ideas on what may have been done incorrectly? After doing some reading I see some mention of cold temps. I did have ice on my guides this morning but even after the sun came out it remained.

On to the Bantam MGL- the thumb bar is not easy to push down and not smooth. I have to press harder than any other reel I own. Is there a way to adjust this?
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Chronarch MGL New issue

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:57 am

There is a light grease in the anti reverse bearing. It can freeze in cold temps and cause it to slip. We have a different grease for cold temps, but it does not provide as much protection against water intrusion.

There is no way to adjust the clutch on the low profile reels. There could be some corrosion on the bearing surface, sand or something else causing it to bind. Without seeing the reel it is difficult to say what the cause is. I suggest sending the reel in if you feel there is a problem with the reel.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:16 am

Thanks Bantam I appreciate the help! Dumb question I know there is no adjustment on the thumb bar ](*,) BUT I have never even lubed it and am comfortable taking the reel apart so will see if that resolves the issue.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:19 am

You can change the grease to our Permalub and this will keep it from freezing and be adequate for the bearing to protect it.