Scorpion DC 100 Brakes stopped working

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
kelley71
Angler
Angler

Scorpion DC 100 Brakes stopped working

Post by kelley71 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:07 am

Hello all,

I have researched everywhere which is why I am posting. The braking system on my Scorpion DC just stopped working. I have taken it apart, cleaned it with alcohol and a cotton swab. Nothing. I use it for inshore saltwater fishing on the Texas Coast. I have never dunked it or had it in the surf. I always clean my gear and keep in pristine shape. I LOVE this reel but I am sad it only lasted 9 months.

Any suggestions? Anyone know how much the brake assembly costs? The spool looks fine with ZERP signs or corrosion or wear.

Any help would greatly be welcomed and appreciated.

Best regards,

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Scorpion DC 100 Brakes stopped working

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:46 am

With a generator inside, a microprocessor, and more... back to Japan Shimano with that one!

A U.S. version would be less expensive to repair and maintain...
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

kelley71
Angler
Angler

Post by kelley71 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:40 am

That was one hell of a reel while i lasted. I noticed on the first cast yesterday when WHAM bird's nest. Shimano needs to come out with a US Version of a Curado with the IDC 5.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:48 am

Any time you take any reel into saltwater, corrosion protection is highly advised. Specific application corrosion prevention inside the reel.

Taking a reel off the shelf or out of a box and heading out to saltwater with it is asking for trouble no matter what brand of reel.

The U.S. Curado DC reel was specifically made for the way Americans fish Shimano reels. Even the DC settings are designed for American fishermen.

JDM reels are designed for how Japanese fish with them.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

kelley71
Angler
Angler

Post by kelley71 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:38 am

Shimano Fan. I appreciate your response and commercial for ShimanoUSA. I knew the risks. I don't expect Shimano USA to repair it either. I was merely searching for information on where to look for parts to purchase. It's a 280.00 and not the end of the world. I can strip the interchangeable parts toss the rest if I cannot fix it.

For the record, as stated, this was not a maintenance issue. I have old greenies that still work from 1990's. I just wanted to try something new. The adjustability when changing lures was a big help where the IDC 5 shines when switching for a .75 ounce super spook to a 1/16 ounce jig head and soft plastic bait. I could've easily bought the Met DC but the magnesium frame won't last in the hyper saline estuaries of south Texas. I have casted the Curado DC and I still like this one better. This Scorpion reel has been in salt water probably 40 times without a problem one. Quite honestly this was the first reel of any kind of mine that has failed in my 47 years. It has never been dropped. No signs of water intrusion when taken apart to diagnose back at the shop. After each trip after proper cleaning, is put back in the rack.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:49 pm

kelley71 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:38 am
Shimano Fan. I appreciate your response and commercial for ShimanoUSA. I knew the risks. I don't expect Shimano USA to repair it either. I was merely searching for information on where to look for parts to purchase. It's a 280.00 and not the end of the world. I can strip the interchangeable parts toss the rest if I cannot fix it.

For the record, as stated, this was not a maintenance issue. I have old greenies that still work from 1990's. I just wanted to try something new. The adjustability when changing lures was a big help where the IDC 5 shines when switching for a .75 ounce super spook to a 1/16 ounce jig head and soft plastic bait. I could've easily bought the Met DC but the magnesium frame won't last in the hyper saline estuaries of south Texas. I have casted the Curado DC and I still like this one better. This Scorpion reel has been in salt water probably 40 times without a problem one. Quite honestly this was the first reel of any kind of mine that has failed in my 47 years. It has never been dropped. No signs of water intrusion when taken apart to diagnose back at the shop. After each trip after proper cleaning, is put back in the rack.
There is a guy on here, Bantam, who can really help. He replies pretty fast and it impresses me that Shimano has someone on here that helpful. He deals with some angry people that talk all kinds of trash about his brand but manages to give some really good help and resolve issues well, regardless where you got it.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:50 am

https://www.shimanofishingservice.jp/pa ... code=03659
10,200 yen for the brake unit
7,650 yen for the spool

depends which is the issue

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:02 am

You might try a second cast. It might be broken but DC reels have to build up power on the first cast for the control system to work. I never try to make a long cast first time of the day.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:24 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:49 pm
There is a guy on here, Bantam, who can really help. He replies pretty fast and it impresses me that Shimano has someone on here that helpful. He deals with some angry people that talk all kinds of trash about his brand but manages to give some really good help and resolve issues well, regardless where you got it.
Shame to read this. But Shimano users are not the worst of them... Daiwa is. And because of this you don't see any of them around here offering support for their brand... Same with Lew's, Abu, Okuma, Quantum, etc. Only Shimano even though they still share the same opinion the others do about U.S. forums and how those forums treat them and their reels with non brand recommendations that wind up in authorized service centers daily... There is a label attached to those reels dripping with hot sauce when they come in... yep, another "forum reel" fail... well some guy online said I could... yeah right. The brands put out manuals for a reason, and spend years developing and building support service centers for a reason...

"For the record, as stated, this was not a maintenance issue. I have old greenies that still work from 1990's."

Not a maintenance issue? OK, that has yet to be proven. And comparing a newer DC with built in generator, microprocessor, sensors, etc. can not be compared to the old green beans of yesterday in terms of reliability. That is like comparing a Tesla electric car to an old skateboard. Like comparing a titan rocket to an old bottle rocket. The differences are so drastic so as to render any comparison null and void.

"After each trip after proper cleaning,"

A proper cleaning? Curious what that is???

Do you know how to test the output voltage of the generator? Do you know how to test the microprocessor? How about the sensors? Are they functioning properly? And how would you go about testing these components to KNOW what the problem is I can only wonder? And just what do you think applies the brake pressure when the microprocessor tells them to engage? And there is no consideration for salt in the water or salt in the air to have caused any corrosion in places you can't see?

The wires for the generator are so small, and copper, which is affected by salt- even salt in the air can cause corrosion- that maybe salt corroded a power generation wire in places you can't see... maybe the brakes are frozen in place from corrosion. To say it is not a maintenance issue at this point is irrelevant.

Interesting to read how you do not want to take any responsibility for this failure, and are going through a lot of trouble and words to place blame upon the reel and Shimano for this failure when it has yet to be proven exactly what the problem is. Just sayin'... a pure observation here.

When all else fails, throw the kitchen sink at the reel and start buying every part and replace it is what I am reading this morning... This thread will be a fun one to subscribe to.

7,650 yen for the spool

And after he spends this money on these parts 93 and 77, and pays for shipping and installs them and it still does not work... then what?

Is it part #92 maybe? 91? 88? Could be 80. Simple testing would reveal the true problem... however... it is a JDM so back to the kitchen sink throwing...
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:32 am

ShimanoFan wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:24 am
Shame to read this. But Shimano users are not the worst of them... Daiwa is. And because of this you don't see any of them around here offering support for their brand... Same with Lew's, Abu, Okuma, Quantum, etc. Only Shimano even though they still share the same opinion the others do about U.S. forums and how those forums treat them and their reels with non brand recommendations that wind up in authorized service centers daily... There is a label attached to those reels dripping with hot sauce when they come in... yep, another "forum reel" fail... well some guy online said I could... yeah right. The brands put out manuals for a reason, and spend years developing and building support service centers for a reason...

"For the record, as stated, this was not a maintenance issue. I have old greenies that still work from 1990's."

Not a maintenance issue? OK, that has yet to be proven. And comparing a newer DC with built in generator, microprocessor, sensors, etc. can not be compared to the old green beans of yesterday in terms of reliability. That is like comparing a Tesla electric car to an old skateboard. Like comparing a titan rocket to an old bottle rocket. The differences are so drastic so as to render any comparison null and void.

Do you know how to test the output voltage of the generator? Do you know how to test the microprocessor? How about the sensors? Are they functioning properly? And how would you go about testing these components to KNOW what the problem is I can only wonder? And just what do you think applies the brake pressure when the microprocessor tells them to engage? And there is no consideration for salt in the water or salt in the air to have caused any corrosion in places you can't see?

The wires for the generator are so small, and copper, which is affected by salt- even salt in the air can cause corrosion- that maybe salt corroded a power generation wire in places you can't see... maybe the brakes are frozen in place from corrosion. To say it is not a maintenance issue at this point is irrelevant.

Interesting to read how you do not want to take any responsibility for this failure, and are going through a lot of trouble and words to place blame upon the reel and Shimano for this failure when it has yet to be proven exactly what the problem is. Just sayin'... a pure observation here.

When all else fails, throw the kitchen sink at the reel and start buying every part and replace it is what I am reading this morning... This thread will be a fun one to subscribe to.

7,650 yen for the spool

And after he spends this money on these parts 77 and 93 and pays for shipping and installs them and it still does not work... then what?

Is it part #92 maybe? 91? 88? Could be 80. Simple testing would reveal the true problem... however... it is a JDM so back to the kitchen sink throwing...
haha wtf
valid points perhaps, but tone?

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:36 am

y2k88 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:32 am
haha wtf
I'm an old grouch! And turning into a curmudgeon. :mrgreen:

Must be the caffeine'd in me! :oops:

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:36 am

y2k88 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:32 am
ShimanoFan wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:24 am

7,650 yen for the spool

And after he spends this money on these parts 77 and 93 and pays for shipping and installs them and it still does not work... then what?

haha wtf
Hes got a valid point.

This being the reason I no longer desire a DC reel. Sounds good on paper....

Tone....you cant type tone. You can read it in your own though... just sayin...
<")))><{

kelley71
Angler
Angler

Post by kelley71 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:40 am

There is always that one guy who is "smarter" than everyone else and tries to prove it.

I bought a new Chronarch HG yesterday to replace that one for that rod. Done here.

Thank you for the few that actually answered my question rather than lecture me

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:50 am

****The clarify Shimano Fan is not a representative for Shimano. I appreciate he is trying to help but, he is not the right source for specific questions like this. I am the only one that posts here that actually is employed by Shimano and have been for over 16 years now.*****

Kelley 71-

The only I-DC 5 system reel we currently offer is the Metanium. It has some revisions over the Scorpion model and older DC 5 systems. Remember that the tune is for JDM customers, their rods and casting style. The Curado DC was developed for the US with US lures and anglers making the casts to develop the programs for the braking curves.

We do not have parts for the JDM models here in the US. We can get them but the time varies for when they will show up unless you want to pay for the air freight to get it here. They usually pack it with an existing order, so they could come in a few weeks, or 4 months. This all depends on when the order is placed.

Checking the I-DC 5 units or older units is difficult because they do not make any noise during the standard function tests we perform. You have to cast them. Have you tried different settings? Change the line type and brake curve and see if it starts to work.

It could be a software issue. I have heard of the older DC 5 units doing weird things when they are cast hard because the program was not created to work like that. It messes them up and then it stops working. Then they will start working again after making multiple casts. I know it sounds odd but this is what the QC team explained to me. This is why there was a slight change to the unit in the Metanium.

The Curado DC is I-DC 4 which does not have the line selection nor the "AUTO" setting. It is a much simpler system that is working really well. The level of testing they receive before they leave the factory is much higher than any previous DC model. The units are tested 3 times in special built machines to ensure they work properly.

I still prefer the old 4x4 DC system of the Calais DC purely for performance reasons. It is far superior but the price point reflected it. Maybe one day this will come back to the US and come down in price for everyone. Myself included.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:44 am

Right I only work for a repair shop that is a factory authorized service center for Shimano, Daiwa, Okuma, Penn, Lew's, Abu, Zebco, Quantum, and other brands our shop services daily.

I represent only my own opinions, and do NOT represent any of the brands I service daily. I thought I have made this clear over and over in the past?

But this is a discussion forum after all...
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.