They're back...

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
GeoJay
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

They're back...

Post by GeoJay » Thu May 02, 2019 6:27 pm

Recently put my old Mg50's back in the rotation...Had them both in ziplock bags for years on account of the Mg breaking down internally...Came across two different frames a CU100 and another old Citica, problem solved...smooth like butter...

Any idea what frame is compatible for my Core 100's, got one on the verge of retirement, same problem, Mg breaking down internally...got no prob with a couple more ounces...Lotsa good info here...Thank you...G

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: They're back...

Post by Bantam1 » Fri May 03, 2019 5:11 am

The Chronarch D and Core reels shared tooling. I am not 100% sure if you can use the CH frame on the Core. It should work, but I have never tried.

GeoJay
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by GeoJay » Sun May 05, 2019 7:15 pm

Bantam1 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:11 am
The Chronarch D and Core reels shared tooling...
Appreciate the response, gonna research it

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun May 05, 2019 9:51 pm

I'm finding that painting the entire interior surfaces of the frame and side plate with Lanolin grease and including the screw holes / bearing seats etc (TefGel is also a awesome product for dissimilar metal screw hole's) will help with corrosion mitigation especially the Magnesium reels. We get lots of Stella's that are used in Saltwater and they literally start corroding from the tiniest paint chip and off it goes. Pays to be onto corrosion straight away!
IMG_20190607_091600.jpg
IMG_20190607_091600.jpg (63.87 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
With Lanolin:

A it helps with water and dissimilar metals reactions. It's waterproof and acid resistant so great with palm oils which are acidic and different to every individual.

B it helps fill in any crevices etc and stops oxygen and relative moisture in the air getting into the Magnesium itself.

C it smells alright :roll: My bombed out Calais DC smells pretty alright

Ive also seen it almost if not stop Magnesium corrosion after the magnesium corrosion has been properly cleaned and washed out. Just got to get to it early enough.
Last edited by Slazmo on Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon May 06, 2019 5:53 am

The newer reels like the Metanium and Aldebaran have good frame guards inside to prevent the contact from the clutch parts. This is what caused issues in the older reels.

99.9% of corrosion problems are due to anglers not properly washing the reels after use in salt/brackish water. I started fishing Chronarch 100MG reels in salt when they were not approved for it and had zero issues. The main difference is I kept my reels clean and properly dried them after they were rinsed. If damage to the paint happened I would simply use clear nail polish to cover it.

Yes grease in certain places can help. Covering everything with grease isn't needed and it is usually overkill. There are problem spots to watch. Keep those areas lubricated and clean.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon May 06, 2019 6:29 am

Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon May 06, 2019 2:21 pm

Bantam1 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:53 am
99.9% of corrosion problems are due to anglers not properly washing the reels after use in salt/brackish water.
This exactly... You need to lift the salta way off the reel... Some of these wiping techniques do very little unless you wipe with a cloth multiple times and refresh it in between. It's like dusting with a microfiber cloth in the end you just go pushing the dust around and deposit more in areas elsewhere...
Bantam1 wrote:
The main difference is I kept my reels clean and properly dried them after they were rinsed. If damage to the paint happened I would simply use clear nail polish to cover it.
People storing wet reels. Humidity plays a huge role in how quick water in a reel dries up (esp here in Australia) - using a reel stand also helps keep the weep holes up off the surface and air flow into them to allow the water out. Opening the side plate and pulling the spool out or partially helps air flow and that poor pinion bearing some space to dry out...
Bantam1 wrote:
Yes grease in certain places can help. Covering everything with grease isn't needed and it is usually overkill.
I know when we think "coat" it in grease, I'm talking "fine" coats of lanolin on the frame surfaces, not alike some that think 2mm thick is what grease application is all about surface protection. You'd be surprised how water beads off lanolin and its akin to the hydrophobic coatings that OEM reels come out with. I mean you could spray the inside with Rustoleum Hydroblock for that same coating feel from factory. Anything to help with further corrosion would be beneficial.