Cruxis 200 issues after servicing

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Jbassman11
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Cruxis 200 issues after servicing

Post by Jbassman11 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:12 pm

I recently acquired a pre owned Shimano Cruxis 200 baitcasting reel for a reasonable price. It looks brand new cosmetically and functioned flawlessly, until I took it apart to clean/lubricate it.

Whenever I purchase a used reel, I always like to clean them up before I use them, as there’s no telling when the last time the previous owner did such. I have taken apart and cleaned and greased many reels before, Shimano and others, and cannot for the life of me figure out what went wrong this time.

When reeling, it sounds like the anti-reverse pawl is rattling loudly every time it hits a tooth on the ratchet mechanism. I did not add grease to this component, I cleaned the ratchet wheel and put it back together. Should I add grease to the pawl or teeth on the ratchet?

Also, the anti-reverse bearing no longer seems to function. It makes a loud rrriiiippppp kind of noise when you rotate the handle backwards to stop it, and the handle will not stop until the pawl hits the tooth on the ratchet. I believe the handle should stop immediately with no back play. Not sure if I accidentally got some oil on the bearing or what. Is it screwed? Can I clean it and hope for the best?

Lastly, when reeling the reel, sometimes it binds to a stop. When it does this, if you keep reeling, it feels like the drag washers are slipping and it takes a lot of force to free it up but once it starts moving it will reel like normal again. Not sure if this is related to the anti-reverse or what. This issue seems intermittent. The handle spins free most the time but occasionally binds/locks up going forward. Usually seems to happen when casting and you start to reel to engage the gear, or when pressure is applied to the drag like if you hook into something. This issue has me completely stumped.

I’ve never had problems like this after servicing a reel before, and I know it was working perfectly when I got it before I took it apart. Not sure if something isn’t lined up properly, or maybe I accidentally got oil somewhere it shouldn’t be or what. I have double checked the schematics online and every component appears to be there and put back in the correct order.

Also would like to add there are no authorized Shimano repair facilities anywhere near me, and not even any mom and pop repair shops anywhere nearby. I don’t want to send it in unless I absolutely have to, so any input or suggestions to possible fixes for my issues are greatly appreciated.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Cruxis 200 issues after servicing

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:45 am

Change the anti reverse bearing. Take the pawl off for the back up anti reverse and toss it in the trash. It is a back up should the primary fail. They can get bent and/or worn and cause noises and binding issues. I remove them on my reels that have them. The newer models outside of reels used in saltwater no longer have them.

The other binding issue could be in the clutch. Did you take the clutch parts out and clean them? Did you apply any grease to the areas they rotate or move on the frame?

Issues like this can be difficult to diagnose without touching the reel. We no longer service this model due to lack of parts. We have many service centers in the US that should be able to assist you. You can always ship the reel to them for repair.

Jbassman11
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jbassman11 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:23 pm

Thank you for the tip about removing the pawl. I took it out and it no longer makes noise or binds up while reeling.

The anti-reverse is still so-so. While I had the reel apart to remove the pawl, I had noticed that I did not install the anti-reverse correctly.

It felt a little seized after that, so I soaked it in a penetrating lubricant and took it apart, soaked it in brake clean to remove any oil and grease, and re-installed it. After re-installation though, I noticed it was screaming so I added a little bit of lubricant (per a recommendation I found online on a different forum) and after that, the bearing quieted down.

However, the anti reverse now only seems to work about 70 percent of the time. The other 30% it just spins backwards. Is there any particular type of lubricant to be used on this clutch, or a certain amount to use or particular way to lube it?

I spend enough money already restoring a different reel I had and I would prefer not to have to fork out another $30 + shipping if I absolutely do not have to and can somehow preserve the bearing I got. Any tips?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:25 pm

If you used brake cleaner, you likely damaged the plastic housing. Those should be flushed with either 91% alcohol or an electronic contact cleaner. Both of these are usually plastic-safe. After you clean it, put just the tiniest drop of oil on each little roller and rotate the sleeve inside it a few times. Remove the sleeve and swab out the excess by rotating a q-tip while wiping in a circular motion, as too much oil can cause it to slip. Never use grease, because it will cause slippage in cold weather.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jbassman11
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jbassman11 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:02 pm

I meant to say that I used oil, not grease on the roller bearing.

I just used some Reel Butter I had laying around. Put just a tiny drop on it and rolled the sleeve around and installed it.

I may try to take it back apart tonight and swab it out, since I never did that. I think there may be too much oil in it since i didn’t wipe it out clean after putting it on there.

I’ll give it a shot and hope for the best. If it doesn’t fix it, then I guess I’ll have to fork out for a new bearing. Either that or just chuck this thing and buy a new reel lol.

Thanks

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:02 am

Just change the bearing. It's cheap insurance.

Jbassman11
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jbassman11 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:20 pm

I just put a new bearing in it. With the bearing replaced and the pawl removed, this reel now works flawlessly. It even seems to feel better and smoother than it did before!