Aldebaran MGL Spool

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Aldebaran MGL Spool

Post by Edward78 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:36 am

Hello what I would like to know is will the Newer Aldebaran MGL 51 spool and brakes work in the older Aldebaran 51 non MGL reel. Thanks

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Aldebaran MGL Spool

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:09 am

It will work but you have to change the brake pipe on the side plate along with the spool. It's not just a simple plug in the new spool and go fishing. There are other differences in the MGL model reel that assist with the casting performance. Just changing the spool will not make that much difference as the Aldebaran spool is already pretty light.

kevkim
Angler
Angler

Post by kevkim » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:46 pm

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I recently fished my friend’s aldebaran mgl to compare to my regular 2015 aldebaran and noticed how much smoother it felt during a cast. Although my 2015 aldebaran is a fairly smooth caster, is there something besides the mgl spool and svs infinity 2 braking system that makes it that much smoother?

I’m contemplating ordering the mgl spool and brake pipe, but also noticed the mgl models don’t have the small springs on the bearings on the spool shaft and side plate (BNT5139)

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:06 am

kevkim wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:46 pm
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I recently fished my friend’s aldebaran mgl to compare to my regular 2015 aldebaran and noticed how much smoother it felt during a cast. Although my 2015 aldebaran is a fairly smooth caster, is there something besides the mgl spool and svs infinity 2 braking system that makes it that much smoother?

I’m contemplating ordering the mgl spool and brake pipe, but also noticed the mgl models don’t have the small springs on the bearings on the spool shaft and side plate (BNT5139)
I’ve done this change and it’s day and night.

On a German board we have discussed the difference between the reels and we all feel the 2015 Aldebaran 50 is way over braked, we can go down to 1 brake and 1 on the dial, no spool tension without getting backlashes which makes you feel missing out on casting distance. Hence the big interest in improving things.
I personally also felt the 2015 50 had a worse start up speed throwing 1/5oz hard baits than a 70 sized Metanium Mgl or Antares mgl. Fixed with the mgl spool.

For the swap you need (I’ll look up the bnt numbers later):
Mgl spool
Brake pipe
Plastic housing „cup“ the brake pipe rides on which is screwed into the sideplate.

The reason for part 3 is the mgl brake pipes threads have a different travel. You could go without this part but can’t go up to 6 on the dial in that case, as the cone on the mgl pipe has already ended at that point (the cone is longer on the 2015 50 as you’ll see once you have the parts.

Even though the bearing sits deeper in the housing cup part for the MGL and therefore rides on the very end of the spool shaft, this doesn’t matter if you choose not to swap this part. I’ve tried.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:13 am

The spool and brake changes made a huge difference in performance with the MGL model. The spool is very light in these reels, plus the outboard position of the line on the spool makes for easy start up. Or course any brake will affect the spool greatly because of the reduced weight of the spool. It would be like installing 6 piston brake calipers with 14" rotors on a Mini Cooper. However, some people have different casting styles and will use the reels for all sorts of applications. This is why the reels come with 4 brakes and the dial to tune it for the way you fish.

kevkim
Angler
Angler

Post by kevkim » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:52 am

Thanks for the quick responses. I definitely agree that the 2015 aldebaran is a bit over-braked since I am running only 1 internal brake block on with the dial between 1-3 depending on the lure weight/aerodynamics. I'm looking to get the perfect finesse combo of the aldy paired with my expride 7'2" ML+, but feel like I can achieve more distance and ease of casting with the mgl spool.

I was casting my friend's aldebaran mgl with 2 internal brakes on and the dial at 3 which was perfectly fine for me. I don't anticipate going up to 6 on the dial, so I think I'll go ahead and forego the plastic housing cup (I think it's bnt5888 for the lefty). If for some reason in the future I feel the need to go to 6 on the dial, I'll order the part then.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:56 pm

kevkim wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:52 am
I was casting my friend's aldebaran mgl with 2 internal brakes on and the dial at 3 which was perfectly fine for me. I don't anticipate going up to 6 on the dial, so I think I'll go ahead and forego the plastic housing cup (I think it's bnt5888 for the lefty). If for some reason in the future I feel the need to go to 6 on the dial, I'll order the part then.
Well actually 5ish becomes the maximum so the usual 6 - you still get the max brake power, you’re not missing out. The increment of going from 1 to 2 with the full setup of the MGL would translate to this setup as going from 1 to 1.8. So that’s not a thing to worry about. It’s really only remembering that if you’d go to 6, the brake pipe will press against the brake element on the spool and block the spool. So technically you’ve gone up to 100 :D

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:17 am

dennis_rf wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:06 am
kevkim wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:46 pm

I’ve done this change and it’s day and night.

On a German board we have discussed the difference between the reels and we all feel the 2015 Aldebaran 50 is way over braked, we can go down to 1 brake and 1 on the dial, no spool tension without getting backlashes which makes you feel missing out on casting distance. Hence the big interest in improving things.
I personally also felt the 2015 50 had a worse start up speed throwing 1/5oz hard baits than a 70 sized Metanium Mgl or Antares mgl. Fixed with the mgl spool.

For the swap you need (I’ll look up the bnt numbers later):
Mgl spool
Brake pipe
Plastic housing „cup“ the brake pipe rides on which is screwed into the sideplate.

The reason for part 3 is the mgl brake pipes threads have a different travel. You could go without this part but can’t go up to 6 on the dial in that case, as the cone on the mgl pipe has already ended at that point (the cone is longer on the 2015 50 as you’ll see once you have the parts.

Even though the bearing sits deeper in the housing cup part for the MGL and therefore rides on the very end of the spool shaft, this doesn’t matter if you choose not to swap this part. I’ve tried.
What is the part #'s for these, Im trying to order them and don't see anything called brake pipe only brake pipe gear. Thank you

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:17 am

Edward78 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:17 am

What is the part #'s for these, Im trying to order them and don't see anything called brake pipe only brake pipe gear. Thank you
That’s the one

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:33 am

dennis_rf wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:17 am
Edward78 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:17 am

That’s the one
Great and thanks, this is what I ended up ordering

BNT5432 - BRAKE PIPE GEAR
BNT5888 - BRAKE CASE ASSEMBLY
BNT5876 - SPOOL ASSEMBLY