Chronarch MGL Drive Shaft

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Chronarch MGL Drive Shaft

Post by brownhl » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:17 pm

Had my Chronarch MGL for a year and am cleaning it. Is the tiny screw holding the drive shaft bearing in meant to come out? If so guess I will have to find a tiny square head screw driver. Never saw this arrangement on any of my other Chronarch 150's. Thanks for the help.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Chronarch MGL Drive Shaft

Post by brownhl » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:41 am

Another question on the MGL. Have everything carefully laid out and checking against the schematic and one BNT 2128 washer and two BNT 15 washers are not in my reel. All three are shown on top of the bearing, which is on top of the antireverse bearing. Is this simply because the assembly person decided they were not needed in this reel?

hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hokiehi » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:35 am

I take the screw out when cleaning my reels so i can clean just the drive shaft. Be careful though, there’s a spring loaded pin holding the gear in place that can go flying if you take the gear off too hastily.

As far as the washers, they should be there. Otherwise your drag will either be 0% or 100%. You may have to order the parts online

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:15 am

Install the handle on the other side of the driveshaft when you go to loosen that screw. It's a size 0 or 1. Do not over-tighten it when you reinstall it.

There is no reason to remove the idle gear from the drive shaft unless you are replacing it, or your reel is extremely dirty. There is a clutch pin there so slowly remove the gear if needed and the pins will not come out with force. There isn't much tension on them like some other springs and pins we use.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:45 am

Thanks Bantam. I ended up just hosing down the bearing on the drive shaft with Electronic Cleaner, blow drying it thoroughly, oiling and putting the drive shaft back in it place. Man, that is a tiny screw head.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:30 pm

Wait till you get to use a '0000' for some reels including Stella...

From my personal experience there are a lot of screws that'll take that 00, 000, 000 size Phillips head screwdrivers.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:25 am

Like the itty bitty Phillips on the Chronarch MGL cover. I used my 00.