Question for Bantam on washer/shims

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Question for Bantam on washer/shims

Post by brownhl » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:58 am

I completely understand the reason why reels of the same type will vary in the placement of washers/shims for tolerance differences and went nuts years ago trying to figure out why those shown on the schematic are not in the reel until you explained it long ago. Curiosity is killing me on how an assembler determines what is, or is not needed in washers/shims. Bantam, have you ever had the opportunity to observe the assembly procedure and can comment on this skill?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Question for Bantam on washer/shims

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:07 am

The shims are used to adjust both feel and reduce noise. Every reel is a little different so shims are used to adjust it. There are times where shims are used to adjust tolerances that are known. During the life cycle of the reel, tooling can wear and adjustments might need to happen. I haven't seen it happen in recent times, but over the years we have seen adjustments like this happen.

With spinning reels we adjust as necessary. Most of the time when we replace gears in our repair department have to adjust the shims. This is due to tolerances in the parts. We are talking small adjustments like .002-.003". The new reels are now adjusted differently and we have not really seen much variance. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come with tighter control over the tolerances on the parts.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:33 pm

Than you. I was wondering is we had calibrated eyeballs at work here. :lol:

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:50 am

Only my eyes are calibrated :lol: