JDM Stella '07 2000S help

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

JDM Stella '07 2000S help

Post by steve1206 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:02 am

I recently picked one of these up and it is super smooth but the handle doesn't spin as freely as my 2 2500FE, which will spin for days. Not a huge deal but wondering if Shimano will service this reel or if there is not enough crossover with the old FD iteration. If Shimano won't, is there anyone out there that is good enough to do a similar job?

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: JDM Stella '07 2000S help

Post by karirick » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:37 pm

steve1206 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:02 am
I recently picked one of these up and it is super smooth but the handle doesn't spin as freely as my 2 2500FE, which will spin for days. Not a huge deal but wondering if Shimano will service this reel or if there is not enough crossover with the old FD iteration. If Shimano won't, is there anyone out there that is good enough to do a similar job?
I sent my 3 in to Shimano and they are smooth, but won't freespin more than a few turns; but I think maybe I need to fish them and break them in. They have never landed a fish and they are 7 years old; but they accepted my service coupons that were old.

I have a problem with using my highest end stuff, lol.

No I really do have a problem, but I'm going to try to start using my nicer stuff instead of treating them like trophies.

Good luck.

Rick

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:08 am

We no longer have parts for the FD models outside of bearings. The JDM models were slightly different than ours due to gear ratio differences. We did not offer the 2000S model in FD. I am not sure how different it is internally. You can send the reel in and our tech will do his best to service the reel.

The FE models had very light rotation when compared to other models. The rotors were also lighter which gives you less start up inertia when turning the handle.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:42 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:08 am
We no longer have parts for the FD models outside of bearings. The JDM models were slightly different than ours due to gear ratio differences. We did not offer the 2000S model in FD. I am not sure how different it is internally. You can send the reel in and our tech will do his best to service the reel.

The FE models had very light rotation when compared to other models. The rotors were also lighter which gives you less start up inertia when turning the handle.
Thanks for the info. I knew there was no 2000S on the FD just wasn't sure of parts overlap with other sizes...and yes the FE is crazy, in regards to handle start up/rotation, as you can spin the handle just by bouncing the rod. I may just get a good quality, thorough cleaning/lube here and see how it is after--then make the call on whether or not to send it in. Thanks again.