Curado noise on retrieve

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Wired Wrong
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Curado noise on retrieve

Post by Wired Wrong » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:15 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9ey4Kq ... e=youtu.be
I have tried several internet cures for this noise with negative results,I have 4 of the curado K reels and 3 of them make this noise.I have several older Curados that don't do this.Any advice will be welcome.Thanks

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Curado noise on retrieve

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:00 am

It sounds like a bearing, either X-Ship or pinion. It's hard to tell from your video, but I am pretty certain that is what it is.

Wired Wrong
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Wired Wrong » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:03 pm

I removed the line and lubed where I could reach without disassembly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuKzf6pq840

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:01 am

You probably didn't need to remove the line. If the noise comes back you will need to replace the bearing that is affected.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:45 am

Change the 2 bearings that support the pinion. 99% the cause of your noise, and a very common issue I find on Shimano reels. Something about them 2 particular bearings, especially when the reel is used hard.
<")))><{

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:06 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:45 am
Change the 2 bearings that support the pinion. 99% the cause of your noise, and a very common issue I find on Shimano reels. Something about them 2 particular bearings, especially when the reel is used hard.
Because they usually come with a sneeze of grease in them from 100 feet away, no oil either and they just work in hard...

Hence why they've quietened own after application of oil.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:04 am

There is a fine line for too much grease for those bearings. Too much makes the rotation heavy. Too little and they will corrode. Oil works but it doesn't last long in that application. The factory uses a very light grease to try and hit both targets. Since they support the pinion gear they tend to see more of the load.

We really do not see too many issues with reels used in freshwater. In saltwater use it is a different story. I have seen some bearings get a little loud and we just replace them in our department. The saltwater reels tend to have these bearings corroded or salt gets inside. Then they are really loud.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:07 pm

Fine line aside. I think the majority would agree that a properly greased reel from factory would be preferred over a reel that you touch and winds itself, and in short time makes these or some form of dry mechanical noises... If I knew that the reels were of a great standard from factory I wouldn't have to service straight out of the box - honestly I wouldn't - oy after a certain amount of break in time I would.

I see a great deal of little vids of some servicors, making rebuilt reels so lightly greased and oiled that line guides roll down on themselves when the reels tilted over, the handle spin 25 times or more with a quick flick... The oils and greases are so light that permitted with any kind of use they'll just wear / dry / run out.
Non of this aids real world use or longevity (other than light oil for spool bearings)...

I for myself rest very well knowing that any of my reels and others I do (not at the moment due to the Wu Flue) are greased appropriately - yes they have a small amount of resistance but it's there for a reason.

Wired Wrong
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Wired Wrong » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:30 pm

Thanks for all the replys and info

skunked
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skunked » Sun May 24, 2020 12:49 am

I can't stand how they over- grease reels at the factory. I break down and re-lube my reels to my liking before ever fishing them! The dumbest thing is greasing the bushings or bearings in the knobs!

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue May 26, 2020 5:01 am

It reduces noise and eliminates potential for surface tarnishing when reels are used in salt. You also have to remember the reels come over on a ship and will sit for who knows how long until sold. It's all to protect the reel for storage and against saltwater. Also not everyone maintains their equipment well...

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Tue May 26, 2020 11:57 pm

skunked wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:49 am
I can't stand how they over- grease reels at the factory. I break down and re-lube my reels to my liking before ever fishing them! The dumbest thing is greasing the bushings or bearings in the knobs!
How people get so worked up over bearing supported knobs I will never know. I guarantee you that if there was a double blind test, no one in the world would be able to tell the difference between a bearing and a bushing in a handle knob. And the way the majority of the public is, I.E. never maintaining their reels, a lot of grease on handle posts and bearings or bushings is the way to go from a mfg. standpoint. There's a pretty low rpm rate on the spinning of a knob, and I prefer them to be greased well rather than lightly oiled and subject to corrosion. Even spool bearings, the ones I've given an acetone bath in an ultrasonic, then relubed with just one drop of oil, often scream after a few trips if casting and winding heavier bass lures. Nothing ruines a fishing trip faster. Now I just leave them as they are from the factory, or if too stiff with grease I put a drop of oil on just to loosen them up a bit. The only reason I see to pre-service a new reel is if there are metal shavings on the gears that will cause them to "roughen up" quickly. Slaz is the one that brought this to my attention.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:10 am

I have never seen metal shavings on new gears in any of our reels. I suppose it could happen, but its not like they go straight from the machine to production. Typically the machine process and forge process is in a different building. The parts are cleaned and inspected. The spinning drive gears get surface treatment after the forge process and machine process for the stems. There are several steps taking place before that gear even makes it over to production for reel assembly. The same is true for just about every part on our reels.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed May 27, 2020 2:44 pm

I don't know how it happens either, but on some reels I wash out - cumulate the washout junk in the degrease and you can see the glistening particles.

Some new old reels you get large pieces - not sure where they come from but they're there.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:16 am

Maybe older stuff with zinc cast gears or reels with oscillation gears which are also zinc cast.