Noisy, geary Stradic FL

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Noisy, geary Stradic FL

Post by tywithay » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:15 pm

I just bought two new 2500FL and one is smooth as can be. The other is noisy, like a whispy sound from the rotor, and you can feel the gears quite a bit when you reel it slowly. Is there a quick fix by chance? I can't exchange the reel yet because I'm leaving for a week long fishing trip in two days.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Noisy, geary Stradic FL

Post by Slazmo » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:56 pm

I would spool it up and run the line out and re-wind it on under some form of normal working pressure a few times, and see if that work bed's in the gears.

I did notice one I looked in at the shop when they came out had a strange whirring noise.

Hard to gauge exactly how smooth the reel is without pressure on the gears - eg spooled up and on the rod under normal use.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Noisy, geary Stradic FL

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:04 am

A little noise can be OK and not be an issue with the reel. Partly due to the hardness of the drive gear. However, if the gears are not smooth then the gears need to be adjusted or replaced. Since I cannot feel your reel, it is difficult to say if the reel is what we would consider meeting factory spec.

You have two options. You can exchange the reel through the dealer where it was purchased (if they allow it), or you can send the reel to us for warranty evaluation.