Bantam1 Question about QC under Corona Virus

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Bantam1 Question about QC under Corona Virus

Post by GRH » Fri May 15, 2020 1:20 pm

Hi Bantam1;

Recently received a new 2020 Twin Power 2500 and it is really smooth, noticeably more than my sustain. That's the good news. I also ordered a 2020 Metanium 151B (yea, I'm switching to a lefty :) ) and because of the Corona Virus it has been backordered and the ETA has changed from May 05 > May 21 > July 05.

I'll bet I'm not the first to think about this, so I'll ask realizing the answer might be a little biased coming from a Shimano employee, and may not even be answerable in a forum but I'll ask anyway. What concerns me about the virus delays is how it will affect the quality of the reels being made during this time? It can't be easy to maintain quality when the assembler is wearing a mask and possibly gloves, working longer hours to make up for the sick, etc. I would hate to cancel my order and wait until maybe the end of year when things have hopefully settled down a bit, but getting a lemon of a fairly expensive reel is a concern too.

Do you know if there has been enhanced manufacturing methods employed by Shimano like slower assembly times, more detailed final inspections, etc. to ensure the quality of the reels during these difficult times?

Thanks for any information you can give. PM me if needed.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Bantam1 Question about QC under Corona Virus

Post by Bantam1 » Mon May 18, 2020 5:13 am

You have to remember these workers are in a factory where there is machining taking place, paint, ect. They are always wearing protective gear. There will be delays due to closures and other issues related to the CV. Aside from that there have been no changes in the factories.

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Mon May 18, 2020 6:10 pm

Thanks for the information. I'll not cancel the backordered 2020 Metanium and hope for the best.

A word to everyone; be safe, and remember those who are working and caring for the affected during these trying times.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue May 19, 2020 5:31 am

They are coming in next month. The reels have been trickling in and more coming around summer. This is pretty standard for new products. There is always a slight delay in the amount of reels based on production capacity of the factory. The Metanium is also a global product, so everyone gets a share until they can work on filling the pipeline.