Scorpion DC17 101HG - Brake Noise?

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Byang98120
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Scorpion DC17 101HG - Brake Noise?

Post by Byang98120 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:45 am

Hello,

I was fishing with my Scorpion today. I was playing around with the brake settings. One cast, it made a weird noise. It wasn't loud or annoying, but never heard it before. I noticed that my brake dial was in between A and 4; not fully dialed to one or the other. The noise persisted for the rest of the time fishing. It seems to cast fine after adjusting the brake dial.

Again it isn't loud, but still there.

Am I being paranoid or is there something wrong? I am tempted to open the reel up and check if there is something going on.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Scorpion DC17 101HG - Brake Noise?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:55 pm

If you had it set between 2 settings and tried to cast with it, the electromagnetic portion of the DC unit might have been damaged.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Scorpion DC17 101HG - Brake Noise?

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:03 am

It's hard to say exactly what happened but the DC software is programmed by the setting you select. If the DC unit is functioning as designed I would not worry about it. There really isn't any way you can damage it by having the dial between settings.

It's possible you could have a bearing issue and that noise combined with the DC noise is making it sound funny.