First Gen Ci4 Sandy feeling.

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
stantonz71
Angler
Angler

First Gen Ci4 Sandy feeling.

Post by stantonz71 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:17 pm

I've had this reel for a while and I just can't use it anymore. I've been using my Symetre's and Saharas for the past few years. I hate picking up the Ci4. I figured at first it was just the new reel feel like when I switched to the Cores. Can I send this in to get looked at and repaired?

Thanks for any help

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: First Gen Ci4 Sandy feeling.

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:16 am

Assuming you have the Stradic F Ci4. I've got 2 in collection and one that I bought recently for use - both in collection are brutally buttery smooth, the one I use is just perfect too but a tiny amount of cosmetic damage from the original owner.

But with the reels, I did radially shim the bearings to fit the ID of the bearing housing as they did have a variation between bearing OD and cup measurement.

The "Japanese Made" Sephia C3000HGS - a Sqidding variation with a double handle and shallow spool I own is otherwise tighter than "10 tight things" - just has a bit of inertial start up as it's running 2RS Stella FE bearings.

This family of reels didn't have the "XShip" pinion bearing - just a bushing to separate the bottom of the pinion from the post, so there is a bit of float in the pinion but overall an excellent reel. I think it's survived the test of time and tortures people put them through for the emerging technologies of then.

Then the FA which Ci4+ was supposedly 250% stronger 8-[ but now that's a great reel too even if they did do a fair bit of reneging on certain parts and their original elements.

Probably needs a good rebuild and have someone measure those bearings and their receptacles to remedy that movement, or look at the gears for main gear Paladin wear or simply bearings etc.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:00 am

Several parts have been discontinued for the first generation of Stradic CI4. Here is a list of our service centers that should be able to assist you:

http://fish.shimano.com/content/dam/shi ... 20List.pdf

stantonz71
Angler
Angler

Post by stantonz71 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:02 pm

Thank you guys for the replies!