Exsence dc 17 dc sound gone

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Mdmel
Angler
Angler

Exsence dc 17 dc sound gone

Post by Mdmel » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:27 pm

edit : i posted a video on my channel : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L-aKoO ... ityFishing

I have no idea what caused this error but it had just started in the middle of a cast then it is just like in the videos.

The reel is smooth , I think the brakes are working somehow but no idea whether the digital control is Working or not ?

It is quite a new reel , have been just a few months and no salt water damage seen inside .i have always rinsed with tap water and oiled with shimano oil.

Do you think the dc module is broken ?

Videos :

https://streamable.com/30b4x7

https://streamable.com/20zic1
Last edited by Mdmel on Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Exsence dc 17 dc sound gone

Post by Sore Thumb » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:09 am

I think on the Ecsence reels, the dc only works at the end of a cast. So probably doesnt engage in scenario you are giving. Take it out for a cast, whine should start say 1/2-2/3 of way to touchdown.

Mdmel
Angler
Angler

Post by Mdmel » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:13 am

i'll test tomorrow but , i have used the reel for enough time and there is certainly something wrong with the sound.I dunno if the brakes are functional , seems so, should i bother , well i loved the dc sound it is a bit dissappointing..

the dc module is sold for 17000 yen , if i can confirm the error is from the module i can order the part.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:35 am

There is a setting on that reel where it will not whine. I think it is called SP. I know it works while using min-max setting so make sure you try it in that range before troubleshooting the reel internally or buying a new DC unit

Mdmel
Angler
Angler

Post by Mdmel » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:13 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:35 am
There is a setting on that reel where it will not whine. I think it is called SP. I know it works while using min-max setting so make sure you try it in that range before troubleshooting the reel internally or buying a new DC unit
Sp mode is in exsence dc 2012 model mate

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:54 pm

Ah, wasn’t sure if the other later models used the same DC settings. Sorry I am out on this one. I have two of the Chronarch D framed ones and never an issue

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:16 am

Typically if there is no noise coming from the DC then it means the unit is not functioning. I have never seen one go silent and the brakes still function.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:41 am

As stated above, I had a Conquest 200 DC that would lose the whine because I didn't use it enough (only for summer deep-cranking) and I would have to send it to Shimano to "recharge" after not using it for many months.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:06 pm

steve1206 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:41 am
As stated above, I had a Conquest 200 DC that would lose the whine because I didn't use it enough (only for summer deep-cranking) and I would have to send it to Shimano to "recharge" after not using it for many months.
They recharge via the cast, not by any external means.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:43 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:06 pm
steve1206 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:41 am
They recharge via the cast, not by any external means.
The ones I just sold sat unused for probably close to 10 years... just spooled them up to check because of this thread. Whine is still there.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:01 pm

From my understanding of the system, the winding of the reel induces the electrical capacitance of the system and then on the cast its drained with the use of the electrical system "thinking" coupled with the e-brakes.

I'd like to know what kind of disco biscuits the designer / engineer was on when he come up with the DC brakes idea all the way back in the early 2000's.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:30 am

I would love a DC where the you could turn off the whine or make it very faint. Bit distracting or annoying esp in quiet areas.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:33 am

y2k88 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:30 am
I would love a DC where the you could turn off the whine or make it very faint. Bit distracting or annoying esp in quiet areas.
Exactly - I was fishing a skinny urban creek one moonless night and I didn't realise people were maybe 10 / 15 meters away sitting... Then the "Zing" from my Calais DC woke them up and in turn lit me up with a torch - wondering what the noise was...

Mdmel
Angler
Angler

Post by Mdmel » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:47 am

y2k88 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:30 am
i should send mine to you lol

yesterday i spooled 2pe braid and made some casting even with 40gr jigs.

p and xp mode with max and min brake settings.

the dc sound is there but very week indeed.i have previous casting videos on youtube so im really used to this reel.

i even played with the internal spool tension whether if it makes a difference but no.

the brakes seem functional and i dont see any drag loose.

i just cant be certain where the malfunction is ? if it is certainly the dc module, i can order it for 17000 yen and the reel would be as new ..

sad that the local service is not really experienced on dc reels..

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:16 am

There is no way to make them 100% silent. There is noise from the way the system discharges the capacitor and the electronic magnets pulsing. Trust me I already asked.

The only way to charge them is to wind the handle. There is no battery replacement or plug in recharge. The older Calcutta DC was not made for short casts. Essentially if you made a bunch of short casts you would use more power than the system could recharge itself. This was improved with the Calais DC and later DC models. I'm not 100% sure how they did it, but the reels can handle short casts and flips now.

There is software and it can glitch. I will ask the QC engineer today and see what he says. We have discussed DC at length and he explained a few things to me that now make sense based on issues I have seen over the years when the DC stops working. Sometimes the only way to fix it is to replace the DC unit. They are not cheap. The DC units for the Calais DC are around $400.

The DC braking curves are also designed around casting style and lures. For example the DC units for the US model reels were adjusted to more aggressive casting and the different lure assortments we tend to use with the lines we use. In Japan it is much different and the rods tend to be more parabolic (although this is starting to change). The Curado DC development surprised the engineering team because of the casting speed and energy the "American" had when compared to the Japanese tester. They had to completely change the brake tune for his casting style.

When I helped with the testing here we had 2 or 3 different DC units with different tunes. We would cast several different lures on different rods. I could get one of the DC units to backlash every time on a certain setting with most lures where the QC engineer could not. I am 6'3" and 250ish pounds. He is 5'5" maybe 130 pounds. We ended up fine tuning the brake curve even further later to develop what is currently on the market.