Shimano Aldebaran 51 HG handle backplay

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
kevkim
Angler
Angler

Shimano Aldebaran 51 HG handle backplay

Post by kevkim » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:33 pm

I've got a Shimano Aldebaran 51HG (non-MGL model) that has more backplay on the handle than my other reels including the Curado 71HG, 2016 Metanium MGL, Scorpion BFS 71XG. Initially, I tried to put the original roller bearing in an ultrasonic cleaner with a solution of simple green and water, dried it, then very lightly applied TSI321 with a q-tip to the clutch sleeve. The backplay on the handle felt approximately the same.

I then replaced the roller bearing with a new part BNT5099, and the backplay still feels the same. Is it possible that the clutch sleeve may have some wear on it, or perhaps the drive shaft (BNT5157) has slightly worn down and needs replacing? Thanks in advance.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Shimano Aldebaran 51 HG handle backplay

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:09 am

A little play can be normal and yes the inner tube can have some wear. The reels you are comparing too use different roller bearings and the MET has a bearing above the roller. This changes the play. With the larger bearing in the CU70 it has larger rollers and springs. This helps eliminate some of the play.

A slight amount is not an issue. The bearing will not slip when setting the hook and this is what is most important.

Also check to make sure the handle nut it tight. I have seen countless times when this isn't tight enough and the play is actually in the handle to drive shaft, and not in the bearing.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:44 am

One thing I would recommend is to try CorrosionX instead of TSI. Some ARB(anti reverse bearing) bearings do well with TSI, some squeak and slip on occasion. Since switching to CorrosionX, I’ve had zero problems with any ARBs.

kevkim
Angler
Angler

Post by kevkim » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:30 pm

Awesome, thank you for those responses! I have tightened my handle nut pretty tightly and haven’t noticed any difference in the backplay. I will try ordering a new clutch sleeve and also try out corrosion x instead of tsi321.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:09 am

We do not recommend use of oils like Corrosion X. Permalub grease is what we use and recommend, and only a light amount is needed for corrosion protection. Excess oil/grease can cause the bearing to slip.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:26 am

:-k Wonder why the majority of reel techs use CorrosioX then?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:07 am

I can't speak for the "majority". I can only speak for what we recommend and do here. I'm pretty sure we see more Shimano reels than the "majority". Our QC engineers spend a lot of time and money to develop the best lubricants for our products. In many reels they are using multiple types of grease for different applications. We have seen it makes a difference. Reels trhat come in soaked in oil never perform correctly. Sure they may not corrode, but the rest of the reel has issues.

Corrosion X has a place but it's not something we recommend for roller bearings. I find it best for cleaning graphite frame reels for offshore use. It's good for soaking on hardware that is seized from excess salt build up. It can be used for cleaning. Since the majority of our reels use grease for many of the parts, oil should not be used. Oil will simply mix with the grease and cause premature failure of parts. Before Corrosion X people used to use WD-40. The same principles should be applied with WD-40. Technically WD4- isn't a lubricant. It was made for water displacement, hence the WD name.

kevkim
Angler
Angler

Post by kevkim » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:46 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:09 am
We do not recommend use of oils like Corrosion X. Permalub grease is what we use and recommend, and only a light amount is needed for corrosion protection. Excess oil/grease can cause the bearing to slip.
Bantam1, when applying the Permalub grease, do you lightly apply it with a q-tip directly to the rollers or do you put a light coat only on the clutch sleeve?

Also, which of these is the correct Permalub grease?

1. https://fishshop.shimano.com/products/rd10050
2. https://fishshop.shimano.com/products/rd16814

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:06 am

I just use a q-tip and apply it to the rollers. The first link you provided is Permalube. A light coat is all you need.

The second link (NLTS) is similar to Permalub and will work, but it has slightly different properties. The QC team found that the Permalub worked a little better for the anti reverse bearing.

kevkim
Angler
Angler

Post by kevkim » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:08 am

Awesome, thank you!