Stradic Ci4+ 2500 FA One way clutch

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Stradic Ci4+ 2500 FA One way clutch

Post by lifeofRiley » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:30 pm

I might have posted about this reel a year or two ago. I actually have 3 of these identical model reels and they've all been good to me. One in particular has problems from time to time with the handle slipping backwards. It seems to be worse in colder weather. I had it out today, with temps hovering right above freezing. Halfway through the 3 hour trip I noticed that at times the handle would rotate backwards. In the past when it did this I took the reel completely apart and cleaned/lubed it. As I own multiple of the same model I am very familiar with it and have done complete tear downs many times. The reel is freshwater only and although dunked from time to time while wading creeks I have always aired it out completely. My initial guess is oil or grease intrusion into the clutch assembly causing the slippage, although that doesn't make much sense considering it seems to get worse in cold weather. I'm stumped on this one. If I take off the top of the clutch and just look will that be ok? I know there's all the tiny springs in there but I'm assuming if I'm careful and don't bump/wiggle it they will stay in place for a visual inspection. If after all that I can't find the problem I'll have to order a new clutch and inner tube, do you have a cost on one? Thanks for any insight. This reel although used, is not beat up, and I always strive to maintain my equipment to factory recommendations. If I do discover anything I will be sure to follow up post.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Stradic Ci4+ 2500 FA One way clutch

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:11 am

The bearing needs to be replaced. There is no correcting it once it starts slipping in cold weather typically. Normally this can be due to someone trying to lubricate the bearing, and the lubricant freezes. This is why almost all of the spinning reel A/R bearings were labeled "DO NOT LUBRICATE" on the housing. The newer styles are also pre lubricated from the factory.