What happened to Shimano’s quality control?

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
BEST79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What happened to Shimano’s quality control?

Post by BEST79 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:26 am

I have bought three new in box shimano bfs baitcasters last month. And one this month.

They are 2 curado bfs and 2 slx bfs.

What I found really disappointed me.

All the reels are not in perfect conditions

First one

There was a scratch on the spool.

https://www.img.in.th/image/QnW3dw

So I drove my car back to the shop and replaced a new one.

Once I got back home. I found something like paint dimpling on handle sideplate.

https://www.img.in.th/image/QnWxuA

And another on the same side of sideplate component.

So it’s done for me because here in Thailand customer protection is very bad.
If you pay money and you take goods out. You cannot return.

(It was considered as shop owner’s mercy that she gave me a replacement.)

The next few days, I ordered Slx bfs from one of Thai official Shimano dealers.

And I found many defects on the reel. As shown

On the front piece there was a cut.

https://www.img.in.th/image/QnWSmH

On the spool there was a long scratch along the spool rim.

https://www.img.in.th/image/QnWNs2

https://www.img.in.th/image/QnWiza

It is not acceptable for the new reel , so I asked for the replacement.

The dealer said, “This was the last on our shop, you have to wait for unknown amount of time.”

I ask him how long?

He said “At least 4-5 months.”

So I keep it.

The last one was another slx bfs. I bought it from online shop.

And I still found some defect at this time it was something like instant glue near the mechanical knob.

https://www.img.in.th/image/QnwfWO

And the damaged screw on the non-handle side frame.

https://www.img.in.th/image/QnwFz3

All these reels have no sign of usage. No water stain. No water-mixed grease.

So I believe these were “out-of-factory” defects.

Then I did some research and found someone who got defect reel like me.

https://www.img.in.th/image/QnWZ9r

I just wonder what happened to Shimano’s quality control?

I remember as I was a kid Shimano was among the best quality reels on the market.

Even a sedona I never found manufacturing issue like this before.

That made me a loyal Shimano’s fan.

Does anyone have issue like me?

Please share your experience.

Ps. I am really obsessed that how can glue get onto reel’s sideplate.

Is there any glue parts on the reel?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: What happened to Shimano’s quality control?

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:38 am

I am unsure of the final QC process for Thailand. I handle the QC duties here in the US. I perform inspections of all new product shipments. If issues like this are found I will pull the product and contact the correct factory. It starts an entire process to inspect and change production.

The reels do come with a warranty here in the US. I would assume there is a warranty process in Thailand. I would contact the office that handles your region about warranty repairs if the dealer will not assist you.

Given the current climate of high demand, I suspect some things may slip through the tight QC process. The factories cannot keep up. We also have issues like the rest of the world as far as getting raw materials and shipping delays. This is not an excuse, but the reality of the situation.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:04 am

What happens when a rod goes clicking on the cast is usually when a rod has been flex to the point where the epoxy on the line guides has cracked. The threads are still holding the foot of the line guides but the epoxy bonding may no longer be fully bonded. While the line guide still remains in place and is still fully functional, every time the rod flexes to a point, there is this click or snapping sound at that moment. So usually on a force full cast or a full rod flex on a hook set does this come about. One you develop the clicking sound, it's there. This can happen to any rod and usually graphite type rods. Fiberglass are more forgiving and less prone to happen.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:42 am

slipperybob wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:04 am
What happens when a rod goes clicking on the cast is usually when a rod has been flex to the point where the epoxy on the line guides has cracked. The threads are still holding the foot of the line guides but the epoxy bonding may no longer be fully bonded. While the line guide still remains in place and is still fully functional, every time the rod flexes to a point, there is this click or snapping sound at that moment. So usually on a force full cast or a full rod flex on a hook set does this come about. One you develop the clicking sound, it's there. This can happen to any rod and usually graphite type rods. Fiberglass are more forgiving and less prone to happen.
Will putting a drop of runny super glue on each guide wrap stop the clicking?

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:40 am

slipperybob wrote:
This is also the reason why a brand new rod out of the plastic does it? Mine sounds entirely from the handle, I could be wrong, but that's exactly where it sounds like it's coming from. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:09 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:42 am
slipperybob wrote:
No, the flex coat that they use for the guides remains flexible after curing. Superglue cures extremely rigid. It actually cures in a crystalline form, so theres no flex. It's like tempered steel in that it doesn't bend, it breaks.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:39 am

Give the noisy guide a slight push almost like you want to bend it out of shape, but not quite that much force. This is only for single foot guides. Push towards the reel seat. This tends to make the noise stop. I have mentioned that in other posts.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:11 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:09 pm
mark poulson wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:42 am
slipperybob wrote:
No, the flex coat that they use for the guides remains flexible after curing. Superglue cures extremely rigid. It actually cures in a crystalline form, so theres no flex. It's like tempered steel in that it doesn't bend, it breaks.
I've used it for years for loose guides, and it is still working on a few rods. As Mel Brooks would say, "Couldn't hurt".

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:35 pm

I wouldn't use super glue and really depends on how the guides are loosen. A drop of superglue isn't much and probably fix the loosen noisy guide. If the underlying issue actually is a long crack where you actually see discoloration under the epoxy. You need to find a flexible glue type. More like vinyl repair or shoe goo adhesive. Or better to find the epoxy for rod building.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:09 pm

I was pretty excited and finally got my Expride 7'2 MH spinning rod last week, got it out of the shipping tube
and did my typical inspections, not even 15 minutes into it and the rod is back in the shipping tube and shipped it
back on the same day for a refund. The reason? the blank was not straight at all, not bowed going down but to the right
and yes, it has the "clicking" sound coming from the largest guide which doesn't surprise me anymore.

Very disappointed about it too, after owning an awesome Expride 7'2 MH casting, I was expecting the
same build and quality around that price range, I have cheaper Shimano spinning rods that doesn't have that problem.
Might have gotten a bad batch maybe? regardless, it never should've pass quality control. It's an Expride and should
be better than that!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:32 am

tdm wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:09 pm
I was pretty excited and finally got my Expride 7'2 MH spinning rod last week, got it out of the shipping tube
and did my typical inspections, not even 15 minutes into it and the rod is back in the shipping tube and shipped it
back on the same day for a refund. The reason? the blank was not straight at all, not bowed going down but to the right
and yes, it has the "clicking" sound coming from the largest guide which doesn't surprise me anymore.

Very disappointed about it too, after owning an awesome Expride 7'2 MH casting, I was expecting the
same build and quality around that price range, I have cheaper Shimano spinning rods that doesn't have that problem.
Might have gotten a bad batch maybe? regardless, it never should've pass quality control. It's an Expride and should
be better than that!
I'm playing devil's advocate here, so indulge me for a moment. I have seen quite a few counterfeit rods flooding the market lately. Where did you buy the rod, and are they a factory-authorized retailer?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:37 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:32 am
tdm wrote:

be better than that!
I'm playing devil's advocate here, so indulge me for a moment. I have seen quite a few counterfeit rods flooding the market lately. Where did you buy the rod, and are they a factory-authorized retailer?
Tackle Warehouse and been a customer for a few years now. They have excellent service!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:16 pm

tdm wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:37 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:32 am
tdm wrote:

be better than that!
Tackle Warehouse and been a customer for a few years now. They have excellent service!
Thought I'd ask. There are a few sellers on that auction site that I'm thoroughly convinced are selling counterfeit Daiwa and Shimano products, particularly rods.