Chronarch G sideplate

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Chronarch G sideplate

Post by NormanD » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:58 am

I have 5 Chronarch G's. But, one is brand new and I can't get the sideplate to open. I had seen some suggestions to run how water over the reel. Tried that unsucessfully. Any other suggestions to try?

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Chronarch G sideplate

Post by a1712 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:07 am

Make sure the cast control cap is loose. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:04 am

Have had this happen when using Chronarchs in saltwater. Never could get the side plates off, so I had to cut them up and destroy the side plate to get it off :doh: That locking mechanism is troublesome, good thing sideplates are cheap. Even tried taking extra care to keep the parts that lock it down clean, and still didn’t help.

Shimano did swap out the first reel I had trouble with though, guessing they couldn’t get it off either. They told me to soak in warm water or use a rubber mallet to gently tap on the sideplate, which is kind of scary with a carbon reel. None of that worked. Tried CorrosionX and a couple other spray lubes…nothing. Loved my Chronarchs, but this is one of those issues I couldn’t deal with anymore.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:09 am

Cast control is loose, still wouldn't budge.

I will try soaking it in warm water to see if that will help.

Reel is brand new. All I have done is spool line on the reel.

Maybe Bantam will have an answer.

J.B. what reel did you switch up to. I love the Chronarch G's. Up to this point have had no issues at all.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:01 pm

Bantam will definitely have some options for you, especially if it is new. He went above and beyond to help me with this issue. Their warranty if nothing else will get you fixed up. Other than the one they replaced, mine were well past the warranty, so I had to use extreme measures, which of course I’m not recommending.

I went with the Stile SS from Japan, with brass gears from the Curado 70 installed.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:09 pm

Interesting option. I will have to look into that.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:23 am

I suggest sending the reel to use for repair. We have many other methods and access to some tools that you may not have. There are ways to get them apart without destroying the side plate. Many times you can get grippy type gloves to aid in turning the side plate after you have unlocked it. Careful tape work to the outside of the side plate and a vice with soft jaws, or giant adjustable wrench can be needed. Many times we soak that side in the sonic cleaner to help loosen up anything built up. That tends to help and allow us to use the gloves to get them apart.

Salt can and does build up between the frame and the brake hub. This is why permalube needs to be used on these areas when using the reels in saltwater. I also suggest opening the side plate after cleaning the reel when used in salt/brackish water. I have been saying this for years for all of the reels like this. It helps the water drain better and prevent salt build up in tight spots.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:47 am

Thank you for the response Bantam. I have had no issues with my other G's. They have been flawless. This one was a surprise, since it is brand new and hadn't seen the water.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:07 pm

just an update. The issue was resolved through a Shimano warranty/service center.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:58 am

For those of you with the G models that are fishing saltwater. Open the side plate and apply some Permalub to the outer ring that locks the side plate to the frame. There should be three lugs and corresponding openings in the frame. Apply the grease to the openings as well. This will prevent salt from getting into those areas and locking the side plate to the frame. We did this to the older Ci4 versions and it basically stopped the problem.